Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Time with Lilly...

For those of you who don't write, you may think this post is a little weird. But I'll write it anyway...

I've always had an imagination. Always. I've always looked at the world through the eyes of that imagination. I played with Barbies until I was 10 or so... I remember sitting in my bedroom floor in Zachary, Louisiana making out a Barbie sized village with shoe boxes and fabric and little furniture and carrying out a life with pint sized people with exquisite long hair and itty-bitty waists. I still have the imagination, but as an adult it's different. I can make up a story in my head, but I am no longer able to reenact the plot line with Barbies as I did when I was a child. Trust me; I know this as fact. My daughter asks me to play Barbies quite often, and it always ends with me sitting there in the floor wondering what the heck my Barbie is supposed to do or say.

As I have shared here before, I am working on a novel. It almost makes me laugh aloud as I type the words... I mean, I am writing a novel. When I think of a novel, I think Wuthering Heights, or A Tale of Two Cities, or Pride and Prejudice. So, I guess I could rephrase and say that I am writing a manuscript or a book. That sounds a little less pretentious. In the past week and a half, I haven't had much time for writing. With Scott being home, it's broken my normal routine, and today is the first day I have sat down to work on it in a while.

Here comes the weird part... I have missed Lilly, the main character. To me, she is a real person, flesh and blood, though no one (including myself - I promise I am not hallucinating) can see her. She has a personality equipped with goodness and flaws. She has dreams and wishes. She has hurts and memories. And I have missed writing about her, discovering different pieces of her, and trying to figure out where she will go next. I have also missed the closeness she provides me to the Lord. I feel like every time I sit down to write about her, I am learning something from God. Like He is teaching me as I write... teaching me as He puts things on my heart to share through her. It's a very strange thing to experience, but it is real.

Like today, God put on my heart a passage from Matthew 6 (don't be too impressed... I had to Google it to find the location in the Bible, but I knew the gist of the passage I was looking for).

And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Matthew 6:28-30

First, I just love the word splendor. I found it often in Isaiah and in Lamentations, and I truly adore the word. I'd like to study the Hebrew word and its meaning and all - you know, if I were a wee bit smarter and I wasn't writing a book and raising two kids. Maybe one day.

But also, I love the passage and how it reminds us that God has the whole world taken care of down to the very basic. I just love the thought. And, right now, when times are so uncertain for so many, we can rest in the thought that God will take care of us no less than he does the lilies of the field.

Anywho... so I am writing (or trying to carve out time to write) and learning (always trying to find the lessons in life) and listening to God (some days I am a little more deaf than others, but this morning I've heard Him loud and clear). Just living it day by day.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Just a weird life coincidence. Today was Meet You at the Pole and the focus was Matthew 6. :) And call it what it is, you are writing a novel and I am darn proud of you!