Friday, September 3, 2010

Running...

Running... it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. It's physical, it's mental, and it's spiritual. On this one hand, I love it - it's provided me an outlet to release some negative energy and I can feel its positive effects on my energy level. On the other hand, I hate it - running looks so easy, and then you try it and realize how difficult it is to convince your legs to keep going, and your breathing to stay in line, and your heart to NOT pop out of your chest.

I am in week three of my "running" attempt. I have been following the Coach to 5K method which gradually increases the amount of time you spend running and alternates it with walking in between. Though I can feel an increase in my stamina, I can also hear my body screaming at me, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING????? WOULD YOU PLEASE SIT DOWN IN YOUR CHAIR AND MUNCH ON SOME DORITOS OR SOMETHING NORMAL AND LAZY??????" That's literally what my body would have me do - sit down. Stop with the running and the exercise and muscle torture and just sit down.

My muscles are tired. My shins are in a bad way when I get done running. I am fatigued. I've been doing it the "right" way - I am getting enough down time and I am well hydrated. But I don't think it matters how much you do right - if you exercise as much as I have then you will feel the fatigue set in at some point. And my point has been reached in the past two days.

I am scheduled for the old run/walk thing tomorrow, and I am glad to say I will be completely off for two days. I mean, not off work, cause we all know I don't have a job, but off exercise. Two days of muscle rest. Two days to stretch it all out and get ready for more torture next week. I am thinking that two days doesn't sound long enough...

No comments: