Wednesday, September 15, 2010

God answers prayer...

God answers prayer... it's true. Sometimes, it isn't the answer we're seeking. Sometimes, it's precisely what we asked for. And, sometimes, what we ask for is so randomly insane to the outside world. Let me explain what my prayers have been for the past month... for my husband to quit his job.

It's insane; I know. Absolutely crazy. Especially in this economy and the ever-growing unemployment rate. I know anyone I told this to, including my husband, over the past month probably looked at me and wondered to them self, "What has she been smoking today???" I'll give you the back story...

We all know about the economic downturn. I doubt any family in this country has been unaffected by it in some way. The car business took a huge hit. Lenders were beyond edgy and unwilling to loan money. Some smaller lenders buckled and closed their doors. The lease went back to what it was intended to be and not for the average American family to afford to drive the gas-guzzling domestic SUVs. There were months around here that I wondered how we would make it. There was not enough coming in each month to pay the basic necessities, and it certainly wasn't any fault of my husband's. He was busting his rear harder than ever trying to make the most of every deal he had and getting things funded. There was no support at his company at the time for those starving; it was almost like the upper management was in denial of just how bad it was. The face of the company began to change, and Scott decided to go somewhere else to work.

Of course, it wasn't long until the home company wanted Scott back. He's one of the hardest working and honest car men out there. By the book. Trustworthy. After six months of working at another company, he went back to the place he felt like was home. And then the bottom fell out - some big-wig was hired to come in and shake up the organization. He blitzed in with big promises and big goals. And shortly after that was when I started this prayer: Lord, please get him out of there.

Things certainly did not get better... my husband worked his fingers to the bone every day to make it work. To meet and exceed the numbers that were expected. To provide for his family. But what he didn't realize is that is was a vicious vortex sucking him in from the bottom, spinning and spinning, growing by the second. They wanted more and more, later and later nights, more cars, more money. I painfully watched my husband struggling to make it all work - watching coworkers be fired, feeling trapped in this place yet wanting to hang on. And that's when my prayer became: Lord, I just want him to quit. Please give him something else.

Here's the thing... it's so no worth it. And it's so easy to fall into the trap of the world. Of the making of money. Of the acquiring of stuff. Of the holding onto what you've acquired. I think it's even harder for a man who feels the desire to provide for his family. And I am so blessed to have a husband who wants nothing but the best for me and our children. So very blessed. But it's a delicate balance between work and home that has to be reached. I am reminded of a passage in Ecclesiastes 3... I know there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil - this is the gift of God. (verses 12 & 13)

I love the book of Ecclesiastes. I told someone that once, and they looked at me like I was crazy (and I am definitely CRAZY). To some, it may seem depressing. But to me, it was a highly poetic explanation of life and reminder that there is nothing on this Earth that is more valuable than God. No stuff. No good time. No job. No amount of money. It is the plight of man to work, to provide, but to enjoy and do good with what he has. Like I said... the delicate balance.

I am happy to report that Scott quit his job yesterday... he and two other managers who have history and many years with the company all left together to make a statement. And I couldn't be more proud of and happy for him. He has a couple of options already, and there will be no shortage of places that want him to come work for them. I anticipate the place he left will make changes and want him and the other two managers back. I can't say that I am 100% free of fear... I mean, as of right now, neither one of us have a job (YIKES!!!!!). But I mean it when I say it - I'd sell our house, our cars, find a job for myself anywhere for him not to be in the same situation he's been in the last several months. I have faith that God will see us through. He always has. It overwhelms me as I look back over our life together and see how God has been so faithful to us - how He has held us up even though we have failed Him so many times.

And, so, here's my prayer this morning: Lord, thank you for your blessings. Thank you for sustaining my family. Please carry my husband in your hands and place him with your mercy in the perfect place for him and our family.

Amen.


4 comments:

carrie said...

I will be praying for him to find that perfect place and to give you all peace that things are in His hands.

Erika said...

I suddenly feel like bursting into song from The Sound of Music, "Climb every mountain. Search high and low . . .till you find your dream!" I'm sure Scooter will enjoy his break to BLOW all over the backyard! And on a serious note, I sincerely pray that he finds work that will allow him to provide for his family both monetary and emotionally.

Chelle said...

I am in awe of your faith and I know that it will be rewarded. I'll be praying for you guys as well.

Marie Kelley said...

I felt like I was reading our story. I will definitely keep you all in our prayers. You posted a comment on facebook about your blog and I just had to check it out as I am getting into blogging also. I love that verse too. I am going to share it on Facebook!