Thursday, September 16, 2010

ADHD

Okay... so here's the deal. I'm about to pull every single hair out of every tiny little hair follicle on my entire scalp if I can't get my son to adjust to the 4th grade. Seriously. That's how frustrated I have been in the last three weeks with him.

When I stop to think about David, his difficulty has been growing and building over the last few years. He struggles with organization (okay - got that from me) and with responsibility (I can't really take credit for that one, though) and remembering to bring things home from school. We've battled. I've scolded and fussed. Teachers have talked to him. But the behavior has increasingly become worse. He's not a bad kid at all. In fact, he's respectful and polite and charming (most of the time), but he's just having trouble living inside his own body.

David is like a little cyclone on the inside. His mind spins incessantly form the moment he gets up in the morning to the time he goes to sleep. He's bright and curious and interested in everything. But he lacks personal discipline to follow through with simple tasks. He's ADHD - I have become 100% certain of the fact. But the thing is that the very last thing I want to do is put my nine-year-old vivacious little boy on medication. So we are going to have to find a way to work with him and help him deal with the way he is created. If all else fails, I will meet with his pediatrician to see what she thinks.

I read up a little this morning about some strategies of helping children deal with ADHD without medication and it made perfect sense. I am going to give him notes every day in his assignment book to remind him of what is expected of him that day. At this point, school is the major focus of our work with him, but I am hoping to be able to help him be more organized at home as well. It will be difficult, but I want him to be a successful student and still be who God made him to be.

If any of you out there know of any good books or websites with information, please pass it on to me!

2 comments:

carrie said...

Will his teacher work much with you to help him. With children with these tendencies, they nedd routine. If they can get that routine down, it works great. I know some teachers won't work with you at all. If she/he will, let me know and I have a few suggestions. If they won't work with you, I have a different set of suggestions.

Coach Lori said...

Definitely check out www.letsgetfittofocus.com. It has some wonderful, FREE action steps for you on how you can help your son to deal with his issues.
If you are also interested in coaching, check out www.adhdcoachandmore.com.