Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Today is the first day of the rest of your life...

.... or for me, tomorrow will be the first day of the rest of my life. It's the end of one era, the beginning of another. I have spent the bulk of the last nine years being a mom. All the time. In the morning, I was a mom who fixed the waffles and multiple juice and milk cups and wiped the sleepy from their eyes. At mid-day, I was the mom who fixed the lunch and picked up the trash from the morning snack and wiped the faces and checked the clock thought to myself, "Is it really only 11:49?????" In the afternoon, I was the mom who would attempt to get the wound-up toddler to lay down for a rest or read a book and pick up a multitude of toys scattered and strewn about the floor. I was the mom who usually showered or bathed in the afternoon. Tomorrow I will be the mom that sends both of my children off for another person to teach them and protect them for the bulk of the day. I will be a mom of two school goers.

Maybe some of you have the wrong impression of Crazy Mama. I gripe and complain about my kids. They get on my nerves. They don't flush the toilet as often as they should. They don't always (well, they seldom) throw their trash in the trash can. The talk too much and say the word Mama way too often. They scream at each other (and sometimes I scream at them) and they slam doors and generally make a ton of racket. But I love them. Love them dearly. They are mine. I'd do anything in the world for them. Anything. I'd give anything in the world up for them to have a better life. Anything in this world. Even my own plate of food, and if you know me then you know how much of a sacrifice that would be.

Will I be sad tomorrow? Absolutely. A lot sad? No. I am excited for them - to spread their little baby wings and learn to go out there on their own. Lord knows I can't teach them what they need to know - they think I'm an idiot most of the time! But I am also excited for me.

It's hard for a mom to admit she's excited about her life when her kids have been her life for nine years. Very hard. But I have some goals for myself - some things I want to accomplish - this school year. And I am so excited to see what's out there for me. What can I do with my brain? And I am so very thankful that the car business has come back enough for me to continue to be at home, and even more thankful for a husband who works his fingers to the bone to provide for his family. (Thank you, Scott!) I just can't help but smile when I think about the year ahead of me. Just can't help but think there's so much out there for me to do, for me to try.

I have found several writing contests to enter. I have already been working on a couple of pieces and coming up with ideas. I will mail my first entry off tomorrow. I also want to get back into shape - this summer has certainly left its impact on my hips! Yes, I will miss my children, but I look forward to the opportunity to get to know myself a little better while they aren't here. And, you know, to take a bath without company...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

You'll have to share on here your entries for the contests. (If you want to.)
I have to admit I am jealous of the thought of a quiet house. The possibilities are endless.

Erika said...

Enjoy the time all for you! You deserve it.