Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dear red Craftsman self-propelled lawn mower,

I feel I owe you an apology of some sort. I have to admit that I've put you through a lot in the last three years, but you've been patient while I have learned the art of mowing the lawn. You've been ever diligent in giving me beautiful, precise rows of green. Sure, we've had our ups and downs... you lost that wheel about 18 months ago - the whole darn thing just popped up and your bearings spilled in the grass. I had no idea what the little silver balls were, but I soon found out. And then there was that bolt that keeps your arm on that fell out twice before we realized the hole was stripped out, so it had to be JB-welded back into place.

And yesterday - I'm still trying to figure out what happened yesterday. Somehow your little "tire" came off without the bearings spilling or any nuts or bolts coming out. Just so you know, I don't typically reach for a wrench on an average day. As a matter of fact, the only two occasions that I've used a wrench involve you, Big Red. But yesterday, I turned you delicately on your side and tried my best to determine how to get your tire back in its proper place and working efficiently. It only took me about twenty minutes, and I am pretty sure it wasn't really done the right way. But the wheel could turn freely, and I thought it could at least allow me to finish the yard.

I didn't realize how grumpy you might be after such an experience. Perhaps you just didn't feel up to cranking again last night, but it would be most appreciated if you would crank for me today. Please. I would love to finish the front yard as it looks a little strange to only have one little tiny portion of the yard cut and the rest not. But more importantly, I really don't want to have to buy a new mower right now. We've had a good run, me and you... I've learned the ropes with you... I'm quite attached. I know just how to crank you, how to empty your bag when it's full (though it's a bit of a pain and maybe not the best design for me), I feel comfortable with you. Most of all, I really don't want to have to pay to have you replaced.

So, I am sorry for all the tough times. For all the times I've cursed you and taken you for granted. For all the times I ran you into the fence or scraped your blade on the cement of the sidewalk or driveway. Please forgive me, and please crank today. Pretty please.

Thanks so much~
Crazy Mama

By the way, I believe writing an entire blog post to my lawn mower just might confirm my title of Crazy......

2 comments:

Chelle said...

If we lived closer to each other, I could totally hook you up with the nicest repair guy. Or, a new lawn mower, a RIDING lawnmower. You don't know true joy until you can mow your lawn from the comfort of a padded seat with a drink in your hand. Or, so I've been told.

carrie said...

This is funny! Brad busted ours this year and we had to purchase a new one. I hate spending money on that stuff. Hopefully it cranked for you today!