Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sometimes Cutting the Grass Is Realxing

As much as I hate to put this out there, sometimes cutting the grass can be relaxing. Usually when speaking about the chore of lawn mowing, I do nothing but whine and complain. But today, I actually enjoyed the task.


Today, as I mowed, I was thankful for my beautiful home and yard. Thankful for the husband that works hard every day to keep us in it. Thankful for the sheer physical ability to push the mower and empty the contents of a heavy grass catcher. Thankful to somehow, miraculously, having made it through the last 18 months without having to find a job outside my home and use the weekends to do the yard work. Just thankful.


I've also got a lot on my mind today. And it was nice for those thoughts to get lost in the hum of the motor and the spinning of the blade. With each row, I could process another thought and chop it finely like the green blades of grass filling the bag. If only I could take those thoughts and feelings and dump them in the big black plastic bag that will sit on the curb for pick-up on Friday morning. If only...


The only unpleasurable thing was a little flying insect chasing me around the yard. Buzzing around my head and shoulders. It just wouldn't leave me alone. I think it even got me once on the back (cause you know I was in my bathing suit top and shorts trying to get a little bit of sun). I finally sprayed some Off on me not really knowing if it would keep it away from me at all. And he did finally leave me alone.


Other than that, it was a stress free, event-free mow. Lots of sweat, but no sneezes today. The allergies have calmed down, and the grass is beginning to fill back in. And it was nice to look over the yard and see what I had done...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have only mowed our yard a couple of times because there are a couple of hilly spots that scare me. (riding mower) The few times I have done it though, I have noticed that even though the motor is loud, I don't hear any arguing children. Now that is nice!

carrie said...

I enjoy mowing for the ME time. I am guaranteed a little over an hour of thinking all to myself. I don't mind doing it except when it is really hot and thick.