Thursday, May 13, 2010

Modern Day Courtesy

So this one promises to be a classic post...

When I was at Walmart the other day - you know, the day when I affirmed my capability of picking the perfect line - I had to use the restroom. Not my favorite restroom to use, publicly speaking. But sometimes, there's just no waiting. As I was in the stall with my dear, sweet Madalyn, threatening her life if she dared to open the door, I realized there was a woman in a stall down from me on her cell phone.

Can I just say that I don't get that. I don't get it at all. Have we as a society forgotten what life was like before cell phones? I remember the day when one could pee-pee in the potty without worry that someone in another state could hear the sound. I remember a day when if one heard music in the restroom they assumed it was the Muzak playing through the speaker system and not a fancy new ring tone. I remember the day when you could tinkle in peace and not have to listen to all the details of Mary Jo's date last Friday evening.

What is wrong with the world today? Is there no place where the cell phone does not belong? If there's one thing that people of all ages, races, and economic statuses should agree on is that the restroom is a no-cell area. No making of calls. No taking of calls. Perhaps texts are permissible if you happen to plan on being seated for a while... even then, I just think it could wait.

Back in the day, long before cell phones, if you had a trip to Walmart planned, you hollered out to whomever was in the house that you'd be back shortly. If no one was home, you jotted a note and left it somewhere in plain view - headed to Wally-World... back in a few. If you forgot your list or the name of a product or had a question for someone in the household, you were pretty much out of luck. Unless you had a dime (maybe a quarter) and could find a handy payphone. But pretty much, once you left the house, you entered the land of no communication.

Now days, I can't even use the potty in peace. When stopped at most traffic lights, I'm surrounded by people yucking it up and yapping about life. Everywhere I turn there's a person with a cell phone attached to their ear. In line at the grocery store. At the post office. Blazing down I-65 at 87 miles per hour. In line to pick up or drop off at the church preschool. The guy that checked me into my hotel room in Auburn the weekend of our last ball tournament actually answered his cell phone while checking me in at the front desk.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm slightly offended by the lack of concern for others these days. If there's a person in front of you, talk to them. If there's someone ringing up your groceries at Publix, greet them, speak to them, interact with them, and then tell them thank you. And, for the love of all things sacred and private, do not make or take calls while in a public restroom.

Just a little modern day courtesy.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I heard something recently about how hard a time single people can have on dates because they have gotten so use to communicating via email/text/phone etc that no one knows how to communicate directly with other people face to face. Shannon tells me that her students try to turn in papers using text shorthand!