Monday, May 3, 2010

Dust Bowl 2010

This one will be a good one cause it's about BASEBALL...

This weekend, we made the trip to Auburn (a.k.a God's Country) to play in a tournament. Some of you might recall our trip to Auburn last May - you know, the one where I felt like Jim Cantore would be narrating the made for TV recollection of the day I almost died when a tornado struck the ball field. Of course, this weekend the possibility for storms loomed over us yet again, and I diligently checked the weather throughout the week to prepare my mind for take two on the Plains.

The weekend had a weird set-up from the get go. Scott had to work - had no choice in the matter - but would head to Auburn as soon as he could get out of there on Saturday evening. We were scheduled for three games on Saturday - 12:20, 7:30, and 8:40. And, yes, those are all p.m. times. Crazy schedule for anyone, much less 8 year old boys. So, I drove to my mom's house, we took her car to Auburn, and she watched the first game. We checked into the hotel, and then she dropped me back off at the ball park to wait around on the next game.

And we waited and waited and waited.

Saturday was a long day. Three games. Heat. Wind. Humidity. I believe it was a record setting day for heat. The temperature reached close to 90 degrees. The boys played pretty poorly the first two games. Surprisingly enough, their best performance was their final game which didn't start until a little after 9:00 (yes, p.m.). We allowed over 30 runs in three games, which is honestly more than we usually allow in an entire tournament.

On Sunday, we arrived at the ball park around 10:30 to watch some of the games before we were scheduled to play at 1:20. Again, it was hot. And the wind - man, the wind - would gust and literally knock you off balance. It was tipping over chairs and blowing trash all over the place. We were sand blasted all day by the strong gusts of wind as they swept over the baseball field and picked up the dry dirt and sand. It was truly a dust storm. I was covered head to toe with dust and dirt and sand. It was in our ears and hair and in between our toes. The gusts were so strong that when they hit, the players, umpires and coaches had to turn their heads away from the wind. I've never felt gusts that strong that weren't affiliated with an impending hurricane or tropical storm. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced. At one point in the day, it gusted so strongly that it scared some of the children, and I turned to one of the other moms that had been in Auburn last May with me and said (half jokingly, half not), "Okay... so where are we going to take the kids for shelter when the tornado hits?"

Despite the wind and the dirt pelting the skin like bullets, the boys played magnificently as a whole. In fact, it seems to me that the worse the conditions are, the better our team plays. Hey - give us a 55 degree rainy and windy day, and we look like paid professionals. Give us gusts at 40 miles an hour, and we'll get the job done with no problem. But give the Bandits a perfect Spring day with no wind and no humidity, and we'll look like a bunch of five-year-olds at their first day of practice. Seems like our Bandits like to rise to an occasion.

One thing I forgot this weekend was my sunscreen. Having checked the weather all throughout last week, I had expected it to be mainly cloudy and just hadn't made a point to check for sunscreen in my bag. I also forgot my visor I normally wear when it's sunny to keep the sun off my face. I did borrow and apply sunscreen to my arms, but I neglected the tops of my thighs which are burning the mess out of me today. And my forehead is the loveliest shade of red as well. I'll just say that I give the words farmer's tan a whole new meaning this year. I can't say that I'll be able to get rid of it this season...

So great weekend. Great baseball. Great gusts of wind but with no harm. But so very, very exhausted.........

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great Post! I am glad the team did good!
And yes, you were in God's country!

Erika said...

I saw Jeff had posted the time for the late game and thought to myself, surely not. But I guess, surely so. I will not complain about 9 am games again. :)

Nana's Notes said...

about the sunscreen...I have a brand new 2 inch slash on my shoulder as a results of a skin cancer removal due to NO SUNSCREEN! Be careful!!!!