Friday, April 9, 2010

Real conversation...

This is a real conversation I had with my kids this week. And David's response as I report it here is true and accurate, though I really wish I were kidding.

Madalyn asks me while at the dinner table, "Is it still Easter?"

"No, baby girl. Easter is over."

"Awwwwwww.... we didn't get many days. So what's comin' up?"

"You mean what holiday is next?"

"Uh huh."

"Hmmmm.... well, I guess the next big holiday that we really celebrate would be the 4th of July."

"And that's in May, isn't Mama?" asks David.

In moments like these, I just want to open his head up and check. Is there anything in there? Is it plugged in properly? Are there a few loose wires? WHERE HAVE I GONE WRONG???????

"Ummmm... David, sweetie.... the 4th of July is in the month of July...."

"Oh, yeah, mama. I knew that," he says with a grin, those two catty-wumpus front teeth showing.

God love him. And help him make it through school.

1 comment:

Erika said...

It's so funny how getting the element of time down is such a hard concept for them to grasp.