Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Feeling a wee bit guilty... or should I say convicted?

I've been following this guy's trip to Kenya. He, his wife, ans several other bloggers were given an opportunity to travel to Kenya and find out first hand what Compassion International is doing for the children there. They were asked to blog about their experiences in hopes to raise awareness for the organization and boost sponsorships for the children. I enjoy the blog on a regular day. Turned onto it by my BFF, Erika, several months ago, I've been a regular reader. I enjoy his fresh approach to Christianity mixed in with stories about cooking, his two lovely children, and the open ended questions he asks his readers to get their wheels spinning. Don't get me wrong; his appearance is unlike any minister in any church I've ever attended. But beneath his exterior is a man who, from what I can see by reading his posts, truly wants to live a life as close to the life of Jesus as possible.


I digress.... I've been completely moved by the images I've seen of these children - smiling faces and bright eyes - in the midst of all this poverty. I can't help but think of my children who have way too much and parents that continue to buy more. Of course, we buy more with the best of intentions and purposes. You know, it's a birthday or they've been really good in school or what have you. They eat as much as they hunger for in a day's time. They complain when I haven't bought any Sprite or Coke. Lord forbid we don't have the particular flavor Caprisun they prefer. I know that's all they have ever known, and one can hardly expect a child with no experience of anything other than being taken care of and having what they need to understand third world living. But I do want them to have some sense of how blessed they are.

I just showed David the pictures on the above referenced blog. I thought it might be slightly moving for him to see children his own age and size in an area with no water or trash service. He was amazed for a moment, and then quickly went back to asking when I'd be done so he could use the computer. So in that moment I decided we should sponsor a child ourselves.

We picked a boy, age 8, named Collins. He was born in June of 2001. "Just like me," said David. So for $38 a month, this child will have food and shoes and a better chance of feeling special and being educated.

At first, I selfishly thought, "$38 a month... I don't know if I can do that.... things are awfully tight around here..." Then I think about all those times I've not hesitated to buy a $25 bottle of liquor or how I don't flinch at the thought of that $16.95 monthly fee to Napster to keep the latest music on my MP3 player. You know, in the grand scheme of things, $38 in this country is next to nothing. I can always cut out a little luxury here or there if need be. And besides, I haven't even been drinking liquor here lately anyway (one of those little vices of mine I've been working on). So why not put that money I'm not spending on myself and put it to good use?

I am hoping when I receive my packet in the mail in a couple of weeks that maybe David can begin to understand that there are so many people in this world who suffer - some on the other side of the world, and painfully some just right down the road. And if we as a family can do one small thing to brighten a child's world, well it can only bring about good things.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I've been thinking about doing that too for the past several months. I was thinking about a little girl, since it doesn't appear we will have one in our house, but maybe if I sponsor a little boy, the kids will be more into it. I'll have to look around with them.