Friday, December 18, 2009

Two dolls, elf bait, and a new motto...

The kids are out of school. And I'll be honest; they are already way too loud and getting on my nerves. But what can you expect? Christmas is so close they can smell it. Even I think I can smell it a little...

Yesterday, I thought I had finished my shopping. I felt this weight lift off my shoulders, and I almost told the fine young lady at Target as she scanned my final purchases, "I AM DONE!!!!!" But, having worked retail myself at her precious little age, I knew she wouldn't care nor understand. And I would have felt really stupid today when I bought another gift, which really is my very last one. I promise.

See, after going to the Princess and the Frog last Friday, all Madalyn has talked about is that she wanted something Princess in the Frog. Mind you, the stuff was EVERYWHERE two weeks ago before the movie actually opened. But of course when I began my search for an item - any item that seemed reasonable like a little doll or the Barbie version - they were nowhere to be found. All I could find was a stinking music set with a little plastic flute and a tambourine (and I will be doggoned if I would even think about such a purchase) and these two frogs that would kiss and then make some noise. I was so excited to find a set of the Princess and the Prince today at the Disney Store (which has to just remain the coolest place ever no matter how old you are). And so now, I am 100% finished with my shopping.

I also had to make another small purchase. David came home yesterday from school telling me all about these elves that come to your house and tell Santa if you're being good or naughty. He says that all we have to do is put out some saltine crackers in a bowl, a glass of water, and a potato in a shoe, and the elf will come. Personally, I remain a little skeptical. But it's worth a try. Unfortunately I had no saltines in the pantry last night, and I told him we'd have to wait until today for me to purchase them. So I guess tonight we're putting out the elf bait, and we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted...

There's so many other things going on right now. Seems like every time I turn around, there's another tragedy to report. There have been so many fatal accidents in the Birmingham area in the past couple of weeks. There was a fire a few weeks ago that burned a young family's entire home and all it's contents. They have two little girls, 2 and 4 years old. There's a young woman I've heard about who's just been diagnosed with cancer, and her prognosis doesn't look good. She may not make it another month. There just seems to be so much all the time. Always so much. Today, as my mind was racing like it does so many afternoons, I was reminded of the Serenity Prayer. Most people connect it with addiction, but the words really speak to all of us. So I am really thinking it will just be my new motto for a while.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things that I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference.

I mean, really... could we ask for anything more from God? At any time of year or phase in our life, that's pretty much all we need.

1 comment:

carrie said...

The elf thing sounds like the Elf on a Shelf that we have and the parents have to purchase the elves that will come.