Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Tiger Woods Conversation

So, I've been waiting on my little golfer to ask me about Tiger Woods. He watches Sports Center enough to know there's something going on, and it's on every channel news during every broadcast several times a day. A couple of nights ago, David asks me, "Mama... what is going on with Tiger Woods???"


We would all like to know, David... I answered as best I knew how telling him that Tiger had apparently made some poor choices in his life and he would have to deal with them. Then last night, the real conversation took place when David, out of the blue, says to me, "I don't think I like Tiger Woods anymore."


I had to ask him why, even though I knew the answer. And at eight, it's not the answer it should be. David said it's because he's just not doing the right thing right now... but that's not why David liked him in the first place. He liked Tiger Woods for his amazing golf talent, not for the kind of husband and father he is. And so I took my opportunity to teach a little...


"You're right, David. He's not doing the right thing. He's made some big mistakes, but we all do. We all make mistakes. However, he's still an excellent golfer, and you can like that about him."


I think we all fall into the same pattern - we find someone in the spotlight that does something well, and we assume that makes them the person we'd like to be. But it doesn't. We have admired Tiger Woods in our house for his golf skills, and now that he has fallen short in other areas of his life, it reminds us that we can't look up to any human being on this earth. We all fall short. No matter how much money we make, no matter how beautiful our spouse may be, no matter how low a golf score we shoot, we all fail miserably on a regular basis.

I want my kids to realize the only perfect person to ever walk the face of the Earth is not someone you'll ever see plastered on the evening news. He isn't someone you'll come face to face with in the mall. But, He lives in the hearts of many... you can find Him in a helping hand, a nice gesture, a prayer for the needy and sick, and in the pages of the greatest Book ever written. But you will not come face to face with Him until you draw your last breath.

In the year to come, I hope to look to the right person for the example on how to be the best person I can be. It's certainly not Tiger Woods. And it's not a beautiful actress. It's not the mom at pre-school who always looks so perfectly put together and makes the coolest goody bags. It's Jesus. And my goal in the upcoming months is to show His true and perfect love to more people I come in contact with and try a little more every day to be like Him.

2 comments:

Erika said...

What a nice sequeway to have into that conversation with David. Such a good opportunity that you saw! I don't think that way nearly enough.

carrie said...

Nicely said! A good reminder for us all.