Thursday, December 31, 2009

A letter to my husband at the end of this crazy year...

Dear Scooter,

Wow. What a year. If you had tried to tell either one of us just ten short years ago what this particular year would be like, we'd have laughed and tipped another sip of our beer. At the time, we had no real understanding of stress. We knew pain, but definitely not stress. My how much we've learned...

I just want to finish this year off writing just to you. Because that's really what this year has been about. Me and you. It's seemed to be about the finances and the kids and the stress of your job and the baseball schedule and the cleaning up of the leaves in the yard. But when you really think about what this year has been about, I think it's mainly been about you and me getting to know each other in a totally different way. Without the fluff. Without the extra. To the heart. To the core. With the phones ringing and ringing. With no one calling at all some times. With the kids beside us, or sitting in between us, or even crawling all over us. At the ball park in the heat. At the ball park in the cold. On the couch, at the end of a long day, watching Pawn Stars. Or Desperate Housewives... not really sure if you're ready to admit that one out loud.

So, here we go. Another year for me and you. I've been focused so much on telling this year goodbye that I've almost forgotten we've got one only beginning. In many ways, I can't wait to see what God has in store for us and our little life. But in other ways, I'm terrified of what the next 365 days will bring our way. The struggles aren't over... who knows what tomorrow brings. But I'm so glad to know that no matter what comes my way, you'll be there beside me to listen or hug me or tell me what I need to be told. And I want you to know that you can count on me, too. If we can make it through 2009 without killing each other, I think we can make it through just about anything. Well, maybe we couldn't make it if I had to drive you to work for three weeks like when you broke your foot a couple of years ago... we almost didn't make it through that the first time, so maybe you should just be extra careful with your right foot and adjoined leg. Just sayin'.

So here's to another year. And here's to 2009... without this year we've had, who knows if we would have had the opportunity to grow closer together in this way. And that is a blessing that would make it worth repeating even the crappiest of years!

I love you, Scooter. Truly, deeply love you.

Your one and only ~
T. Blair

1 comment:

Erika said...

Should not have read that as a hormonal mess. I love you guys and I am so, so proud of you two! Here's to a great 2010!