Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Peanut Butter & Jelly with Doritos

I am starting the South Beach diet tomorrow. I am nervous. I am hopeful. And I must admit, I'm a little scared of the mental journey I will have to take to remove all these horrible processed foods from my diet... I know that it will not be easy.

Pretty much, I believe that I am a bit of a food addict. I may not look like it, but I eat 'round the clock. You can ask any friend I have and they will tell you that I am constantly munching. And it ain't on celery and carrot sticks if you know what I mean. So this South Beach journey will be an interesting one, and I have been praying for a couple of weeks now that I can get several positive results from this new way of life.

The first thing I am seeking is the obvious. I'd love to lose this ten to fifteen pounds. Although they may only appear to be vanity pounds to most, they are necessary pounds to lose if I don't intend on replacing every pair of jeans and pants I have in my closet. I feel all too fluffy right now, and I am anxious to see if this diet is as successful as I have heard in shedding belly fat.

I am also hoping it will curb my sugary, carby cravings. I'm talking about daily cravings for sugar and crunchy carbs that do nothing but send my system into a spiral of unhealthiness leaving me feeling void of energy. I want to eat healthy again like I did shortly after David was born - when I craved an apple instead of a Double Stuffed Oreo. I hope that after the first two weeks - the strictest weeks of the plan - that those cravings will be a faint memory and I will be well on my way to healthy eating once again.

I also hope these first two weeks to be a time of spiritual growth. Any time I begin to focus on myself and making myself better, it ends up feeding the soul. It's not just breads and starches that are prohibit ted during the first phase; it's alcohol as well. And it's no secret - I do love a night cap. So reassessing my relationship with alcohol and taming it back down should prove to be positive for me.

Granted, I am liable to kill a small animal or child with my bare hands while detoxing from Oreos and Captain Crunch. So be ye forewarned...

So what does a woman eat for her final lunch before beginning the South Beach diet??? Peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a little sack of Doritos. And I did just eat some Oreos.

I mean, I am starting tomorrow, not today.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I know you can do it!

carrie said...

I know you can do well.