Thursday, October 22, 2009

Homecoming

My bestest friend in the whole world is flying in today to visit... I am beyond excited. There's just nothing quite like a best friend - someone who knows you down to the core, who was there for all those stories you have to tell the new friends, who knows just what to say because they know what you need to hear. So many, many years ago, my best friend moved so very, very far away. And so our talks became less frequent, but we always picked up right where we left off...

When I think about the things we've seen each other through, I am amazed... and so very thankful. So very thankful that I still know the girl I sat beside in the second grade. She is the one friendship I have always maintained no matter how far we lived apart or how little we get to see each other. She's just about the coolest person I know.

I am so excited to see her, and I am equally as excited to go back to our high school for their Homecoming game tomorrow night. I haven't seen the football field in 15 years. The last Homecoming game I attended was November 4, 1994 - the day of my 18th birthday. I wore a hunter green (remember when that was the coolest color) corduroy skirt and my hair was permed and my date was some goon who didn't deserve to be with me. Several of us went to eat at O'Charley's after the game. Oh, to be able to travel back and tell that girl a few things...

I don't know exactly what I thought the fifteen years ahead of me would hold. And probably even if someone had pulled me to the side and told me the road I'd travel, I wouldn't have believed them. And I guess, today, looking back over the past fifteen years, I shouldn't want to change or trade the decisions I've made along the way. But you can't help but wonder... What if I hadn't have done that? What would things look like now?

I can't wait to see the campus tomorrow - to see how things have changed and how much they remain the same. I'm pretty sure the young students will be looking at me much the same as I looked at them so many years ago and thinking, "Why would anyone want to come back here?" Oh, you spend so much time rushing yourself to grow up, and then you do.

And then you do.

3 comments:

Erika said...

YAY!

Rebecca said...

I am so happy for you guys! I wish I could see you guys! Stupid flu!

carrie said...

I think if we were told the things we would endure in that 15 years, we would all have taken our lives or atleast become depressed. Why did we all want to grow up so fast? Have a good time at the old stomping grounds! Wished I could see you both, too.