Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day One, Phase One

So, yesterday, I completed Day One of Phase One of the South Beach Diet. It was surprisingly painless. Not necessarily easy, but it wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Granted I have been thinking about it and praying about it for a few weeks now, so I consider myself fairly geared up for success. That, and it was just the first day.

I anticipate today to be a little more difficult. This morning, I wasn't really hungry, but I felt that blood sugar low. And I believe that might be a common feeling today. My body has gotten used to such a steady stream of carbs, and I know that my body will begin to do some weird stuff.

Isn't funny that food can be a drug to your body? That something you have to have everyday can be abused so easily? That's the toughest part about changing your eating habits... it's not like anyone on a diet (no matter what type it may be) can altogether avoid food. So you are stuck in this difficult place in your mind - choosing the healthy or the unhealthy. It's a tough choice to make. Rationally, it's a no-brainer. But then the taste buds get activated with the thought of the unhealthy, and that's where the real battle begins.

Yesterday I made great choices. But I can honestly say that I have never felt more committed to following a regimen. I am so interested to see if I really can get rid of these nasty cravings and lose the fat I want to lose. I am ready to change my relationship with food. And, most importantly, I am ready to develop a stronger sense of self-control.

I made it through the day virtually without any hunger. Dinner time (around 5:30) was the only time I really felt hungry, and I wanted so desperately to reach for that box of White Cheddar Cheezits. But I didn't. And that one decision made me feel so much better about myself.

I keep telling myself the same thing I tell my children about their choices: "It's your decision. You are in control of what you do. What are YOU going to do?"

So, today, I hope I choose healthy foods for my body.

I CAN DO THIS. I CAN DO THIS.

3 comments:

Erika said...

You can do this! I think the main aspect of having a successful "diet" is truly wanting to change your relationship with food, so you are on your way! I got my book today, so hopefully, I will be joining you soon.

Erika said...

You can do this! I think the main aspect of having a successful "diet" is truly wanting to change your relationship with food, so you are on your way! I got my book today, so hopefully, I will be joining you soon.

Erika said...

That was such a good comment, thought you might want to read it twice!