Friday, September 11, 2009

In Rememberance

Today. The day. Everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news. I was on my way to work at Regions as a data-entry clerk, listening to Rick and Bubba, when Mark Prater broke in to do his morning weather bit only to report that it appeared the World Trade Center had been hit by a terrorist. Of course, it was all just breaking then, and no one understood the magnitude of what was taking place.

I also remember the moment when I was told my mother had breast cancer. I can't tell you the date, but it was just days after my birthday - I think my 29th or 30th - and I stood in my laundry room hanging up clothes while my father told me the most unexpected news of my life.

I have no recollection of the day I found out my cousin (by marriage), young mother of two girls, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Not just any form, but rather a fast-growing, aggressive type. I don't remember the day, but I remember the feeling I had in my stomach as I thought about what it must feel as a young mother to look at your kids and know in your heart you won't live to see them be mothers themselves.

How many days go forgotten in our lives? How many moments? How many things have we made ourselves numb to over time? It's human, of course, to move on - to change and grow and continue on with our lives. And with each and every day, a tiny piece of a big memory of a life changing event is gone. It's meaning is forgotten - not the event, but the very root of it's glory in our life. And I do mean glory. I feel with each tragedy of our lives, a true glory emerges through Christ. It's the good that can be found in all that's not good.

So, today, I remember the lives of so many who were tragically taken from their day to day lives by such evil. I think of their families and what this day will bring to them - grief, honor, pain. I am remembering the faith my mother's cancer brought out in me and how I need to recapture it as it has gotten lost along the way. And most of all, I think of the family of the young mother who lost her long fight with cancer yesterday. I think about those two young girls who have seen their mother fight as dreadful a thing as evil itself - cancer.

But mostly today, I want to think about and say a prayer for anyone who has a day to remember. We all have a moment, if not more than one, that changed our lives forever. A moment that we will never forget. It may not have made the news, but it's our news. And I pray for healing and peace for anyone who is struggling with grief today.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

What a sweet post. Grief is a strange, sneaky thing. It can pop up at any time - unexpected, uninvited. Although, some amount of grief is good and healthy, all grief is painful. Thank you for your prayers for all of us who need it.