Saturday, August 8, 2009

So... the beach trip...





Though it was much too short and I brought home a crazy summer cold, it has to be the best trip to the beach I have ever had. And it's really funny because we didn't do anything except just go to the beach and hang out with our kids.

We were able to leave a little earlier than expected in Saturday, and we arrived somewhere around 5:00. We unpacked our stuff - and I believe we had enough stuff to stay two weeks - and took the kids out to the beach. We were greeted by masses of jelly fish. Masses. Big ones, medium ones, baby ones - there were hundreds. I could possibly be underestimating here, but I know no one would believe me if I tried to explain just how many there were. Scott and I were a little concerned; we already knew there was a good possibility of rain, but now there was a possibility our children could be eaten alive by swarms of jelly fish. (I don't think jelly fish really eat people, but it does have a dramatic ring to it.) Madalyn would not go near the water, but David on the other hand was fascinated by them. There were several boys on the beach scooping them up in nets and burying them in holes on the beach, so David got his net and joined the game.

We walked the beach after dark that night looking for crabs. We were really quite disappointed in the sand crabs - what few we did find were so tiny you could barely see them. Perhaps sand crabs are scared of jelly fish, too.

The next day, we woke up, scarfed down a biscuit, and went to the beach. We were glad to see the jelly fish had cleared up quite a bit. We did see some, but they were pretty small and their sting wasn't that bad. I got my first sting ever that day, and David got stung three or four times. But he made two different friends that day and had so much fun riding the waves and playing in the sand. Madalyn's favorite thing to do was looking for shells right at the water's edge. We did finally get her in the water, and she enjoyed it as long as she had the safety of her daddy's hand.

Day three was much the same. One of David's beach friends returned that day, and he spent almost the entire day in the water which was perfectly clear and calm for our final day. I don't think David sat down but one time that day - to eat a little bit of a lunch. We watched the sun go down that night on the beach. We just stayed until the kids were so tired that they were ready to go to bed. It just didn't seem like enough time.

Things I want to remember about the trip:

When we were driving into Orange Beach from picking up our key in Gulf Shores, David wanted the windows rolled down. He propped his little elbow up on the window and said, "Now this is paradise."

Madalyn spent most of the time telling her daddy what to do and how to do it, especially when it came to the collection of shells. At one point she looked at me and said, "I am being the boss of Daddy." I wanted to tell her she really can't yet comprehend the power she holds over him.

I bought a little pack of glow sticks at Target in the dollar aisle. Who knew that could be so entertaining. Madalyn wanted one on every appendage, and it was her brother's idea to wear them like earrings.

One morning, I had just begun to wake up, and I could hear Madalyn whispering to her brother - just calling his name in the sweetest little whisper - trying to get him to wake up. She kept clearing her throat and coughing and then would whisper his name again. She was just so ready for him to wake up, and he never did so much as roll over.


It's true I enjoyed my kids much more away from home. And like I said, we didn't do anything. We never even went out to dinner. Scott and I took turns going out to get food, and we had plenty of snacks with us there at the beach. We just hung out - me and the little family. We talked. We laughed. We played. We had a really great time.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Yay for vacation! It's so nice to go somewhere where there is no one else around that you know, no one to distract you and nothing you have to do! Sounds wonderful and I am glad you had such a good time.