Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I need one of those lousy tee shirts...

In case any of you have forgotten, I tried to be a runner once. Well, actually, it was about six (maybe seven) months of my life that I attempted to be a runner. And, well, I was unsuccessful.

I wanted it. I did. But my body thought otherwise. Especially the right side of my back and my left shin. I never did quite make any sense of how two parts of the same body but on completely opposite sides could have such an aversion to the same activity, but it convinced me that the body as a whole would never be able to do the whole running thing.

What's nice about the whole running experience is that I am left with a memento - the bad back. If there were a lousy tee shirt to sum up my running experience, it would say: I tried running and all I was left with was a lousy bad back.

My back started hurting again a few days ago. Not real sure why, and honestly, this is my first real flare up since my end to the grand exercise of running. It might have something to do with my fall on the pool deck while we were down at the beach a couple of weeks ago. Yes; I fell. Slipped, to be exact. It was one of those painted pool decks, and I was getting along at a fairly quick pace. I hit a puddle of water, and the next thing I knew I was down on my rump. Applause ensued from the peanut gallery in the pool full of strangers who really had no business applauding me for anything. But I handled it with dignity and took a bow. So, I guess that might be what brought the pain back on. Who knows.

The point is that my back hurts. And today is the first day that I have realized it won't get any better unless I go back to the chiropractor.

The worst part about back pain is that it is constant pain. Hurts when you stand, when you sit, when you bend over, when you reach up, when you lift an object, when you push an object. Pretty much hurts when you breathe. And there's not a lot of anything you can do for it once it begins to hurt. Last year, when I experienced back pain for the first time in my life, I had a new respect for people who live with it on a daily basis. It was unlike anything I had experienced before, and I feel like I know a good thing or two about weird body pains.

Anywho - so I will take it easy. And call my chiropractor and have him do whatever it is that he does. And I will hope it doesn't take more than once or twice to get me aligned this go-round. We'll see. Until then, Scott will have to somehow get the back yard cut - and I think we all know how truly sad that makes me.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Coming from a fellow back pain sufferer, I feel your pain. No pun intended. Ok, maybe a little bit.

Nana's Notes said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my....I sincerely hope you did not get MY BACK GENES!!! Take care of it NOW, I mean NOW!