Friday, July 31, 2009

Everybody needs a getaway

I don't care how broke you may be, everybody deserves a break from their reality from time to time. My poor husband has been working his tush off for the past eight months - most weeks being a six day work week. I have been here at home with the kids, hitting the repeat button every morning when I rise from the bed - morning coffee and laundry, scrubbing toilets, applying sunscreen and swimming, baths and bedtime. The kids have grown tired of being home all the time. So tomorrow, as soon as Scott's whistle blows, we are heading south on 65 to the beautiful white shores of Alabama. Only until Tuesday, mind you - but a break from this part of Alabama is long overdue.

We have never really taken a family vacation. We used to have the boat, and that was a regular adventure for me and Scott and David in the summer. We would put the boat in a find a sandbar and stay all day. Then we sold the boat and built the pool. Once you spend that kind of money on something in your backyard, it doesn't make much sense to spend money and go elsewhere. And we really didn't have it to spend anyway. Last summer, our only venture away was to Pace, Florida for - of all things- a baseball tournament. And this year's travels have had that one purpose as well. After our little getaway to the beach minus the children, we knew we had to take them before this summer's end, and I honestly can't wait to see them playing in the white sand.

Granted, it will be a little testy on my nerves. But I hope the smiles I see will make it all worthwhile. I hope.

So today will be spent cleaning and getting stuff together for the trip. I have to venture out to Walmart to pick up some things, and we all know that everyone needs a vacation after taking two kids to Walmart. I am really looking forward to having nothing to do, eating fast food (which has become rare around this house lately), and maybe actually enjoying my kids. Sometimes you lose perspective on the joys of your own children when they are wrapped in the stresses of your own home. And there are always so many stresses. I do love my little family so much, so I am looking forward to some quality time with all of us together with nothing to worry about but the chance of rain.

And just a quick update on my grandfather - he continues to amaze us all. At nearly 91 years of age, he made it through the surgery and his blood pressure has stabilized. Yesterday, he was moved out of ICU and into a regular room. He is very confused, but this is something that happens to him every time he is hospitalized. He still has a long road ahead of him. I appreciate the prayers and thoughts from everyone!

2 comments:

Erika said...

Hope you guys have a great trip!

Chelle said...

Have fun, you guys deserve a little time away :)