Wednesday, June 24, 2009

550 Pieces

David had a great birthday. We had a tournament this weekend - our state tournament - here in town at the same park where David played tee ball when he was five and six. It was hot, the boys fought hard, and we brought home the first place trophy. Then everyone came here to swim and celebrate his eighth birthday. Of course, he got lots of money and gift cards, and they began to burn a hole in his pocket early yesterday morning.

He's been talking a lot lately about Lego's. How he really wanted a big set of like a city - something he could assemble and then play with. So that's what we set out to find. We first went to Walmart, but he couldn't really find what he was looking for there. So, being the CRAZY SUPER MOM I am, I offered to drive him to Toys 'R Us. Two kids... two stores to look at toys... AGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

This is what we ended up with.

Not exactly a city, but it was on sale for $34.99. I guess I wasn't really aware at just how expensive Lego's and similar sets are. My stars - some of the sets are over $100. I also wasn't aware how many pieces they have. Granted, it gives you the piece count right there on the box, but it's really difficult to fathom 550 pieces until you dump them out on the floor and start to try to form them into a castle. Ummmmm.... I demand a recount!!! I think there are some 2,347 pieces in the set David picked out. And when I say they are tiny pieces, well, I mean they are smaller than the size of an eye booger.

We sat in the floor of his room and started the hundred step process. I think I got to step 14 when I just kinda began to lose it internally. This one part just got the better of me, and I couldn't get it to stay, and I was supposed to put another piece on top of it. Things just started falling off, and I sort of panicked on the inside. Like who is the person that designed this crap? Who in their right mind would break a castle down into fifteen million pieces and package it up in little bags and create a booklet the size of a children's picture book full of instructions to put it together????? Is this meant to be fun, or is it meant to be nothing short of human torture?

Maybe I'll buy several boxes of the King Arthur castles and send them to the local prisons. You know, just to give them something to do.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Oh Micah should have a blast with it!

Rebecca said...

I am right there with you! I just let Brent help Brooks with the Legos. I don't have the patience.

Erika said...

We bought legos this weekend too, but ours was just the little $9.99 set with a firetruck and house. That was enough. :)