Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Just do what makes you happy...

Now you see how busy I was last week. Had I not been in a state of perpetual business, I would have blogged about this outing the minute I got home on Wednesday evening. But I couldn't. And it has taken me this long to take a picture of my picture I painted at Sips 'N Strokes and actually sit down and write about my experience. Let me just say that this was the most fun I have had in a very, very, very long time. Come to think of it, I can't say that I have ever had as much fun as I did that night. It was just a different sort of fun, if you know what I mean. A creative fun. A get your juices flowin' kind of fun. A start with a blank canvas and end with something beautiful fun. It was unlike anything I had ever done before, and I enjoyed every minute.

I went with my good friend and neighbor, Keri, and her cousin and one of her closest friends. I thought I would like it as I have always enjoyed doing little crafty creative things. But I was still apprehensive when we walked into the little art studio filled with women and wine bottles. But there was something about the studio I liked; it was messy - paint everywhere, splatters on the walls, stools, smocks, and tables. It was a place I felt I could do no wrong. A place where any mistake could be covered with the stroke of a brush. All the colors and brushes and blank canvases. The blank canvas - that's the part I loved the most. It was mine, and I could do with it as I pleased. And the instructor was so laid back and encouraged us to mix our own colors and make it our own.

At one point, the instructor had the audacity to say out loud, "Just do what makes you happy." And I tilted my head like a puppy dog and said aloud, "Do what makes you happy?? And what does that mean exactly - this do what makes you happy stuff?" Because where else in life can you actually do what makes you happy, you know? There's just never been a time in my life where I simply thought about what I wanted and did just that. I am sure there have been isolated incidences, but they are few and far between. I am a known people pleaser and mediator and tend to not like to make any waves. So for anyone to give me permission to do what makes me happy and know that nothing bad will come of it -no one's feelings will be hurt, no one will need an $150 an hour therapy session because of it, it will not come back to haunt me years down the road - my heart turned over. It truly leaped for joy.

And so I painted. I painted my little flowers - well, actually they were large, obnoxious flowers. I mixed the colors. I did what I wanted to do. I laughed. I just had a good ole time. And this is what I ended up with.


Good times, I tell you. And I can't wait to go back so I can have another chance to do what makes me happy.

5 comments:

Nana's Notes said...

There you go....you have found another outlet...there is NOTHING else like expressing yourself on a blank canvas. I thought the painting was quite good. People pay money for these things!!! You are extremely creative, Tamara in lots of ways. I hope you will continue art AND your writing just for YOURSELF!!Believe it or not, it will help you in your everyday struggles.

Erika said...

I like it!

Rebecca said...

You are very talented!

Tori said...

I love it!!! You should definitely do this more often!

carrie said...

Wow! That is really good. Maybe you should do what makes you happy more often. You could get a little cash for that.