Monday, May 4, 2009

All in a day at the ballpark...

Yesterday, we made the trek to Auburn for a one day baseball tournament. I think it might have been the longest day of my life.

The alarm went off at 5:20 a.m., and I quickly got up to get cleaned up for a day of sweat and sunscreen. It makes no sense really to shower before such a day other than the fact that you have to shave your legs to wear shorts. And that brings about a whole other topic - the fact that I have become one of those moms that will put on a pair of shorts despite the fact that my legs aren't tan. My goodness, it's hot, and I can't bear to wear a sweaty pair of capris all day. So I have become one of the offenders who will blind your eyes with pale legs. And I am over it.

We left the house around 6:45, which is pure insanity. PURE INSANITY. I know it is, and I do it anyway because my kid loves it so much and just really is that fun to watch on most days. Yesterday, however, was a little different. He just didn't seem himself. With nine at bats, he came around the bases only twice I think. And it was by no one's fault but his own. He popped out every time but once. His batting was just completely off yesterday, and it made a long day seem even longer.

The park itself was nice but a little small. The fields were so close together, and there was not much room to spread out in between games. Foul balls were all over the place, so you found yourself dodging them every ten minutes or so. The trash cans were overflowing, and the concession stand was poorly equipped for the number of people who were there. I stood and waited for twenty minutes - maybe longer - for food at the concession stand and never got my full order. I finally asked them just to refund me for one of the meals because I just didn't want to wait any longer. So Scott and I nibbled off of Madalyn and David's food. We decided at the last minute not to bring our sandwich stuff, and I sure did rethink that decision yesterday when it was too late to do anything about it.

We also had the threat of severe weather looming over our heads all day. I knew it was coming; I had looked at the radar that morning before we headed out. So, from the beginning of the day, I had doubted we would get to play the whole tournament. But as the day progressed, and the winds picked up, and the calls from people at home became more frequent and urgent, I became more and more worried. I could see the headlines: BALLPARK ILL EQUIPPED TO HANDLE WEATHER EMERGENCY or DOZENS DIE AT LOCAL BASEBALL TOURNAMENT. I could also picture myself on one of those tornado specials on the Weather Channel - you all know the ones - and I would most certainly have to say that I heard a sound like a freight train and how I clung onto the toilet in the cinder block building at the ballpark. It just isn't how I'd like to go or lose a loved one, so I was a little panicked on the inside. My good friend and I were the only ones who seemed to be concerned, so we devised our plan on what we would do and where we would take the kids. We saw a utility / storage room underneath the press box and thought that at least we would be safe from flying debris from the heavy winds there. So that's what we did. As soon as the ump called our last game, the winds picked up and we swept the kids inside the little room and waited.

Thank goodness it didn't last long. The winds blew strong for a few minutes, the rain poured down, and we hovered in the little room full of baseball bats, folding tables, and various ball park necessities. David was hardly shaken from any of the day - not the seven times getting out on the field, nor the sixty mile an hour winds, nor getting up at the crack of dawn to drive to Auburn to find yourself huddled in a stuffy utility closet with thirty people. All David could think about was the hundred or so baseball bats stored in that little room. He actually had the nerve to pick up a couple and act like he wanted to try to swing them. That activity was quickly halted by one Crazy Mama who had definitely had her fill of fun at the ballpark for the day.

The good news for the day is that despite all the inconveniences and stresses of the day, my little Bandits managed to bring home another championship trophy. And somehow, it makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

Keri said...

and then you came home and got to eat some delicious poppyseed chicken!!