Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Loaded Question

I am not a huge fan of pageants. When I was younger and still in my parents' home, My mom an I would pile into her bed and watch the national pageants. Miss USA. Miss Teen USA. Miss Universe. I would dream of a day when I would look like a pageant girl - tall, skinny, big boobs, the perfect tan, and long blond hair. It didn't take me long to realize that I would never have all those attributes no matter how hard I wished or willed them. I abandoned the watching of pageants as I've gotten older, unless it was the only thing Scott and I found amusing on the 200 channels we pay to watch.


This year, it didn't matter if we found it amusing or not. Our channels were dominated by severe weather coverage - tornado warning after tornado warning. And all the Blairs were glued to weather. I mean, if we are going to be swept away by an F2, we want to know it's coming. Anywho - we missed the Miss USA pageant in all its glory and loaded questions.


This morning, Miss California was on the Today Show to discuss her answer to the question (and I paraphrase here), "How do you feel about the legalization of same sex marriage?" The question was posed by the ever-amusing Perez Hilton. I'd like to say I don't know who he is, but I do know. I have visited his website and read his star gossip and honestly found it to be mainly cruel and incredibly similar to the things eleven-year-old little girls do and say in the play ground during recess. Captions over photos. Pure mean-ness. But I guess there's a certain demographic that finds him entertaining - even so much that he had a brief stint at his own show on VH1. I never watched it personally, but I remember seeing the commercials for it while I watched my trashy reality shows. In other words, Perez Hilton has a segment of the country that follows him, and, for some reason, he was selected as a judge for the Miss USA pageant.


Apparently the same segment of the population that actually pays attention to people like Perez Hilton were also offended by the fact that Miss California stated that marriage should be an institution between a man and a woman.

That's funny. I hold that opinion as well. And, I would think if 100 people were polled and asked the same question, one would find that about 85 out of those hundred would agree. I would like to believe that even in our crazy times that the majority of Americans believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Even Barack Obama, as liberal as we know him to be, had to concede during one of the debates last fall that he believed in the traditional definition of marriage. Is this scandalous - this traditional definition of marriage? Is it new? Different? Crazy? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the very first book of the Bible, don't we get into the relationship between man and woman? Wasn't woman made for man? Not man for man, or woman for woman. Seems pretty simple to me. Call me crazy, but I will agree with Miss California on this one.

And the biggest irony is that she's from California - the state in our country that prides themselves on being so liberal.

Mr. Hilton was also on the Today Show this morning to discuss his side of the controversy. In his opinion, Miss USA is selected to represent us all - straight, gay, Christian, and atheist. He feels like she should have left her personal political or Christian views out of the answer of the question. But if she left her personal (or dare I say Biblical) beliefs out of her answer, what would be the point in asking the question at all? Have we sunk to this level in America that everything we say has to be guarded and hidden in smoke? Can we not answer questions as we really feel and believe? I mean, we are all protected by the right to free speech. All of us - gay, atheist, and even Christians.

When asked by Matt this morning if she regretted her answer at all, she answered a firm, "No." That she had answered the question honestly, and obviously that God didn't intend for her to win the crown that night. It just wasn't in His plan.

I am amazed at her maturity and poise. I wonder what I would do if in the same situation. No - not if I was tall and beautiful and blond, but if I were asked in front of millions and the likes of Perez Hilton, who gets his kicks off of stirring up unnecessary controversy and saying hurtful things about others, a question that challenged my beliefs. Would I have the courage to stand up for what I believe in, or would I cower down?

Huge lesson for all of America - tolerance and love are one thing. But when it comes down to it, you must always follow your beliefs, no matter how unpopular that decision may seem to the few who disagree. There is still more good in this world than evil - I do believe it.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

I think that, whatever you believe, whatever opinion you hold; you should always answer a question honestly and from the heart and not be knocked for doing so.

After all, honesty is the best policy and our country was founded on the belief of Freedom of Speech.

Perez Hilton is a hack; if the tables were turned and his beliefs were being questioned, he'd be the first person to cry foul.

I think the contestant handled the question and the aftermath beautifully. Too bad she didn't win; the pageant could have used her class and dignity.

Perez Hilton as a judge = least classy thing, evah.

carrie said...

I think we live in a sad world where her biblical views cost her a crown. That is what happens when Perez is a judge. I mean could they not find ANYONE else that would do it?

Erika said...

Very well written. and I agree, why when Christians stand up for their beliefs, we are call fanatical or stupid, but when left wingers state their beliefs is cool? I should find the link to my blog post when George Bush was either elected or reelected, it was similar to this.

Keri said...

Very well said!!!

Rebecca said...

Amen!
I follow a guy named chad (linked on my blog) that wrote about it too. I just makes my skin crawl if I think about it too much. I have tried to just stop watching the news.