Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Report

For the record, I never got my Blizzard on Friday afternoon. The hubs made it home early, and we got busy packing the car for our trip. And we got in the bed early. But yesterday I got a Frosty from Wendy's. I wouldn't put it in the same class as the Blizzard, but it was so good and definitely hit the spot.

Our first tournament for the Spring didn't end as we would have hoped. But we had such a great time. Saturday we played two games and dominated both. I think the final score for the first game was 22 - 5, and then the second game was 17- 2. We were playing on these short little fields, and three of our boys hit it over the fence on Saturday. That's exciting for anyone to see - anyone, any age, hitting the ball over any length of fence. And the boys were pumped! They are so amazing on the field! David did really well overall the whole tournament with only two errors at first as best I can recall. And then yesterday we faced an eight year old team. You wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference - just one year of experience - but it does. On the field, they didn't look as sharp as our boys. They struggled fielding ground balls, and they never made any challenging plays. But our boys weren't hitting well yesterday, and there were so many easy outs made in the air. Oh well. The final score was 10 - 5, and five of their runs were brought in by an over the fence home runs. Our boys played their little hearts out and still hung in there with kids who were a whole foot taller than them. Seriously, these boys were so big. And the funny part was that David didn't even notice. He had no idea they were an older team.

All in all, we had such a great time. On Saturday night, we ordered pizza for everybody and had a surprise party for one of our little guys. The boys had so much fun. It's fun as a parent to sit back and watch your kid make memories. Last year, at the end of the season party, I told the boys to look around and know that some of these boys will be your best friends for life. They have no idea what I am talking about now, but it is true. A core group of them will stay together for years to come. Some will come and go, but I know a handful of these boys will play together for the next several years and develop close bonds that will last a lifetime. And we are getting to know the families so much better. This is just a really fun time, not only watching your little guy play baseball, but forming friendships and making memories of your own. Good times.

So, I'm a little sluggish this morning. The time differential didn't really matter until today. I think me and Madalyn both are having a hard time getting going today. Thank goodness nothing on my agenda requires much mental function - laundry and cleaning and playing with Buddy. Hmmmm... and maybe a little sit down and relax time on the couch. But don't tell my boss.

1 comment:

Chelle said...

You almost got me excited for baseball.

Almost.