Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Shouldn't Be Alive

Y'all - seriously. You have all got to watch this show. Scott and I found it a few weeks ago and have been hooked ever since. It's a dramatic reenactment of real situations that have occurred where people survived the unthinkable. Shipwreck, lost in the rain forest, plane crashing in the ocean - you name it. I am amazed by these stories of strength and triumph over death. Fascinating.

I have always had a belief that there are two types of people in the world - quitters and survivors. They demonstrate themselves in various ways throughout life. There are the day to day situations, and then, there are the big ones. I think most of us know what kind of person we are deep inside. We fight our own battles every day. However, when you think about whether or not you would drink water from a puddle on the rain forest floor, or if you could handle floating in a life raft for six days on the ocean with sharks circling around you without drinking a drop of salt water, or if you could drag your body weight with your arms aways from a plane wreckage because every bone in your lower half is broken - well, that's just a different story. And I just don't know how to answer those questions for myself. I don't think any of us really knows unless we are put in these situations ourselves.

I am telling you, the show is fantastic. I am always on the edge of my seat towards the end. It's so stupid, really, as the show is narrated by the people who survive. So, you know who lives from the very beginning, but you just don't know how they live.

We watch it on Animal Planet at 8:00 pm on Wednesday nights. I guess it comes on the Discovery Channel as well. Check it out for yourself. As for me, it has definitely confirmed that I don't' want to make that trek across the Amazon Rain Forest to find out what a real native tribe village really looks like. Oh, never mind. I never really wanted to do that anyways.

1 comment:

RunnerMom said...

Speaking of survival, look at the video on this blog..... I thought of you and your pool!

I couldn't watch it all. I found it too difficult, but it is a great technique for teaching babies and toddlers to swim. http://runnergirlsblogspot.blogspot.com/