Monday, February 9, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy Weekend

My weekend began at 5:00 am on Saturday morning. The alarm clock went off, and I laid there a while wondering why. Who was it that needed to get up before the sun on a chilly Saturday morning?!? Oh - ME. And up I went and off to work a yard sale to benefit our travel baseball team. Can anyone say, "YUCK."

Yard sales are soooo not me. The last one I remember doing was when we (meaning me and my mom and dad) made our final move back to Montgomery. I think it was right before school started back that we decided to have a yard sale to get rid of the things we probably should have rid ourselves of before the move. I just remember we made a couple hundred dollars, and I think I got to use the money to buy school clothes. Dream come true for a ninth grade girl. But for the most part, I think that yard sales are a little gross - no offense to the people who enjoy that sort of thing. I am fully aware, especially after this weekend, that you can find some fantastic deals on things at such sales. And I now know that some people make an awful lot of money flipping things they find on Ebay. But I don't relish the thought of digging through someone else's things, no matter how cheap they might be.

Anyway - it is amazing the things you will do for your kids. Especially when those activities can save your wallet a little cash. We made nearly $900 for our team in seven hours. Not too shabby, I must say. That should cover the entry fees for three tournaments this season, thus requiring a little less dough from each family's pocket book. And there are more fundraisers to come. I think we all know that in this weird economy, no one is shying away from any fundraiser. I think most of us would even resort to begging if we had to. So, if anyone is interested in donating, please feel free to shoot me an email. Just kidding. (Well, I was kidding. But if you really feel inclined to spread your wealth around, I wouldn't want to be the one to hold you back.)

I will admit, there's nothing like a good yard sale to remind you how blessed you are. I think that one is self-explanatory. I just looked out at all the stuff we had spread across the grass at our location and wondered, "How much money did we spend on all this stuff collectively?" And there it all was, gathered together and considered junk. Not needed. All the stuff we all collect over the years. The toys and clothes and do-lollies and sit-prettys now available to anyone for 25 or 50 cents. Crazy.

Also on this weekend's agenda was taking care of the sick dog. Buddy came home on Friday, and I was a little apprehensive of how he would be. Would he be real lethargic or sickly from the medication? Not hardly. The poor dog just wants to run and play. And he can't. And I feel so sorry for him. He is supposed to be confined and not run or jump. He has to remain fairly calm. So we used the gate that once had been at the top of our stairs to gate off the deck. He hangs out there, and I have to leash walk him in the yard several times a day. It is one more thing for me to do, but I must admit that I don't mind. I love that little dog. He is so sweet, and he loves me. I have become his person - probably because I feed him, or maybe because he can sense I am the mom of the group. When I go outside to visit him, he will come and put his big ole head in my lap and nuzzle in and wants me to pet his sweet head. He would lay like that forever I think. He just wants someone to love him. And I do. I think I need Buddy, and I can't even explain why really, but I just can tell that I need him. Does that sound really strange? There are just times in your life when you can tell that something has been sent to you. And Buddy was sent to me. Now, no one needs to notify the authorities that I have officially lost it or call the looney house. I know he's just a dog. But I really think he is a gift. It was certainly not a coincidence that he was found. He is here for a purpose. What that purpose is, I don't know. But he has one.

So, I am glad it's Monday. The husband is at work. The big one at school. The little one is content (for the moment) to just be alone and catch some cartoons. And I have laundry up to my armpits and a treadmill calling my name today.

2 comments:

Chelle said...

Gah, yard sales, bane of my existence yet; we are also planning one for our baseball league this summer.

Moms are such SUCKERS for their kids, no?

RunnerMom said...

The Buddy part brought tears to my eyes.... I want a Buddy.