Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Notes of thankfulness...

I haven't done a thankful post in a while - it feels like forever. Not that I haven't been thankful.

I am so thankful for Erika. She really is my best friend. Of course, my husband is my best friend, but that's just a different dynamic. I think we all understand that. And, honestly, Erika is the only person in the world that knows the good, the bad, and the ugly (and the even uglier) and still chooses to be there for me. You know, family is not a choice, but friendship is. And there are no amount of miles that could ever come between me and my Erika. We have maintained this crazy friendship through it all, and I am so blessed to have someone to listen, to challenge me, to laugh at me, to make me laugh, to lift me up, to tell me it's all going to be okay, to remind me of who I am deep inside, to remind me of how stupid I was when I was a teenager - I could go on forever. Point being, I cut off a lot of my friendships in my early twenties because of some idiot guy. But I was never stupid enough to cut off my dearest friend, and I am so grateful our friendship endured the test of time (and one very unhealthy relationship).

I am so very thankful my husband has a job. A few weeks ago, I learned that the man across the street lost his job back before Christmas. We don't know them well, but they have a daughter a couple of years older than David, and we talk to her from time to time when she is outside. I know from what she told me that he had several interviews lined up and that two of them were out of state. But, wow. I know things are tough for everyone right now, but they would be much tougher if there were actually no money coming in at all. None. And just yesterday I found out that an old friend of ours lost his job on Friday. Three kids to feed, and now he is out of a job. I just can't imagine. And I certainly don't want to know firsthand. So, despite the long hours and stress and recently lower paychecks, I am so grateful my husband has a job to go to every day and a paycheck coming in every month.

I am so grateful for our little preschool. I know this must sound like such a silly thing to be thankful for, but I absolutely love our preschool. David attended this same preschool for two years, and Madalyn has been there since she was 18 months old. I feel like my child is safe there, and I know she is learning so much from socialization to letters and numbers (which she calls them all "nummers") and Bible lessons. I have loved every teacher, which is rare to have had two kids there. You would think by now I might have come across one I didn't like, but I haven't. It is just such a great place, and I am so thankful that five years ago I got David in from the waiting list.

I love doing these posts. They always make me feel better no matter what is going on in my life. Maybe I should do them every day. Heck - maybe I should do them three times a day. That's a thought.

No comments: