Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I almost forgot to be thankful...

I didn't really forget to be thankful. Since deciding to be more grateful, I have been thinking constantly about things I am thankful for. Seems like everything I do I am finding blessings. Even in the most mundane of tasks or the most challenging moments. It has really helped my attitude this past week - an attitude that needed some adjusting, I'll openly admit. So, here goes...

I am so grateful for my home. Not for its size or location. Not for its amenities or appearance. But I am truly grateful that I have a warm place to protect me and my family from the elements outside. It is cold outside. Very cold. And it will only get colder this week. And I cannot imagine not having a warm bed to lay in at the end of a long day. When I see a homeless person (and they seem to be abundant in Birmingham), I always wonder what their story is. How did they become without a home? How does it feel to not have a place to call your own? A favorite chair, a favorite coffee cup, a warm bed to snuggle in for sleep. I know that so many fall into that position due to bad choices, but I am so grateful to not fall into that category. Just truly grateful. My home is a place of comfort and safety. Just the other night, David called me back into his room after turning off the light to go to sleep. His little mind had begun to wander, and he was thinking of someone coming into the house to rob us. It felt so good to be able to tell him that he is perfectly safe in our home. Perfectly safe and warm and taken care of. I am so grateful for my home.

I am so grateful I still have three living grandparents. I mean, how many thirty-two year old women still have three living grandparents. Though they are all declining at a rapid pace, there is still so much to learn from them. And I love to see how happy my children make them. Saturday, I made the venture to Montgomery to "visit the old people." I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but that's just what I say to my mom, and we always get a chuckle out of it. It is always an adventure to visit both places in a day - my paternal grandmother and maternal grandparents. But I do it, and the main reason is because of the joy on their faces when they see my kids. It makes for a long day, the conversation is often confusing, and I often get asked the same questions five times. But I know there will come a day when I won't have the option and my kids won't have the advantage of being around people who love them in that way. What a blessing.

I am grateful for the gift of prayer. It is something that I don't always take advantage of. I go through phases of my life where I am less connected to God. I go through phases where I don't feel as able to pray. But I am focusing more lately on the fact that God accepts me just where I am and that he wants to hear my voice. I find myself praying in moments I never dreamed I would. Trying to keep an open dialogue. Because I am discovering more and more everyday that I can't really make it through the day without talking to God. That I shouldn't make it through the day without talking to him. And I do believe it is giving me more strength. It is helping me be a better wife, which is always a challenge for me. And a better mother. I am a slow and gradual work in progress. If you played a fast-motion recording of my change (you know, like they would on a documentary about building a bridge where you can see in lightening speed the progression of the construction), you still may not be able to see much progression. But there is progress being made. And I am constantly praying for more.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I know that my kids will have memories that are special to them of their grandparents, but sometimes it is sad or odd to me that they won't have memories of the fun things I did with my grandparents. That make sense?

Keri said...

So i am waiting patiently on a post about how thankful you are for your neighbors the Strits.... 4 years and counting

Terri said...

I understand the part about your grandparents and your home. Whenever I see homeless people here, it makes me feel like I have so much, especially when it gets butt-cold, like it is now.

I really understand what you are saying about your grandparents. I miss my grandmother so much - it's been almost 7 years now, this spring. I'm so glad you realize how important it is to remember these times now. You will be so grateful for it when they are gone.

I hope your surgery went well, too, by the way.