Saturday, December 20, 2008

Yesterday, my throat began to hurt. By bedtime, I had the works - sore throat, fever, chills. This morning, I visited the local American Family Care, otherwise known as doc-in-a-box.

Yep. I have strep.

Thank you, David, for that early Christmas gift. I don't get it; David has had strep like four times before, and I have not gotten sick. What did I do different this time?

So, no big deal. Nothing a little shot of antibiotic won't cure. Hopefully I will be feeling better by day's end. They gave me rocephin which I know is pretty strong stuff. Now I will fret for the next several days about the well being of the other two occupants of this household.

One statement on being a mom and being sick - it really sucks. You would think that since David just had strep a few short days ago that he would remember feeling bad. But, no. He has pouted about not being able to play outside longer than he did. That's right - we came home from the doctor and the neighbor was outside, so we stayed out and played for almost an hour. Despite the fact I wasn't feeling well. Despite the fact I just wanted to curl up on the couch with a blanket. But he didn't think about any of that. All he cared about was that he didn't get to stay out until he was ready to come in. I am not saying I enjoy my children being sick, so please do not take this the wrong way, but it sure is easier when they don't feel well than when I don't feel well. Because when mama doesn't feel well, she is still expected to be mama with all the food fixing, snack getting, outside playing stuff no matter how crappy she feels. But when one of the kids isn't feeling well, they get to lay in their bed or on the couch and watch whatever they want on TV and drink all the Sprite in the house. Just doesn't seem right.

4 comments:

RunnerMom said...

Word to everything you said! It's not fair that when we get sick we still don't get downtime to recover.

The shot was a smart move. I've taken the antibiotic pill route and it takes forever to feel better.

Strep is no fun. I hope you feel better soon! Try to get some couch time!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

That was me that deleted my comment. After I hit post I couldn't stand all the typos that were in it.

I hope you feel better soon! Maybe all of it will be over with by Christmas day!

Kristin said...

Poor thing. A momma just never gets a break. Never ever. Never.

Feel better.