Friday, December 5, 2008

Shredded cheese, OJ, and Publix brand oatmeal cookies

You know, I love my children. I do. And I know the day is drawing nigh that I will look back on these days with loving fondness. I will wish I had little hand prints on everything and an annoying whine around every corner instead of breaking curfews and premarital sex. But the truth is that this is now, and I am so very tired of little people. Especially little ones who make messes and don't clean them up. Come to think of it, I detest people of all sizes that make messes and don't clean them up. I am not partial to size, I suppose.

Anywho - I knew that my morning would be devoted to housework today. The floors needed to be swept, mopped, or vacuumed. Madalyn's room was in dire straights. Why not clean David's room as well? I finished my tasks and headed out the back door to the bitter cold to fish leaves out of the pool. When I opened the door to come back in, I heard the guilty patter of running feet. I knew she was up to something. I found her in David's room with a bowl of shredded cheese and a spoon. Right next to her, however, was the apple I so lovingly peeled and sliced in perfectly sized pieces for her precious hands to hold. That's the snack she had asked for; if she had wanted shredded cheese in a bowl, why didn't she just say so??? In the kitchen, on my freshly swept and mopped floor was shredded cheese. Aggravating. Why in the world does she do stuff like this? It isn't like it matters in the grand scheme of the day, but when you combine all her little antics, it makes for a long, draining day. Will she ever grow out of it? I doubt. But perhaps as she gets older she will learn how to pour shredded cheese into a plastic bowl without spilling half of it on the floor. Perhaps.

So the verdict came down today in the OJ Simpson case. Fascinating stuff. The legal system in general just fascinates me, and then you add in a guy named OJ, and I just don't think you can get any better than that. I am in awe of the judge in this case, Judge Jackie Glass. She is one tough cookie. I love her presence. I love the respect she commands. I would love to be her for a day - to speak and be heard without having to raise my voice, to listen to both sides of a story and discern an outcome with wisdom. Anyway - she sentenced OJ to a minimum of 9 years with the possibility of 15. I think that was the final tally for all the twelve sentences - one for each count. Unbelievable. OJ Simpson behind bars for armed robbery. Ironic, don't you think? Which I really don't hold an opinion about his personal guilt in the murder of his ex-wife. I just know that had you polled a group of people 15 years ago and told them he would be jailed and asked them what they thought it would be for, no one would ever have said armed robbery with a host of other related charges.

Last note of the day - has this not been the most random post in the world? - I bought a bag of Publix brand iced oatmeal cookies today at, of all places, Publix. Big mistake. I give them three days - tops. They'll be gone. I have become a big fan of Publix brand. There have only been a few things I have tried that I didn't care for as much as the name brand. I'd say the biggest bargain of all would be their laundry detergent. Love it. Seriously, I think I love it better than Tide. And I had used Tide for like my whole laundering life until another tee ball mom said she loved it and that prompted me to try it. I use the Free and Clear kind, and it will get nearly anything out of our clothes. Why am I talking about this???

Oh, dear. My boring life. Blogging about LAUNDRY DETERGENT and OATMEAL COOKIES.

Someone help me. Please.

Oh, and in case you care (cause I know you all do), I am making a big pot of chili for tomorrow. Thought I should share just one more tidbit for the day...

2 comments:

RunnerMom said...

We have such similar lives. I have a cheese-on-the-newly-cleaned floor episode (or something on the newly cleaned floor) pretty much every time I clean it. So why do we even bother?

We don't have a Publix here, but the rumor is we're getting one. I'm excited!

Erika said...

We've been using the Publix Laundry Detergent too. It's so much less expensive!