Monday, December 22, 2008

In the nick of time...

Just in the nick of time, I am feeling myself again!! Boy, oh boy, what a wretched time to come down with anything. For now, the two remaining Blairs are symptom free and will hopefully remain that way. Keeping all fingers crossed for that.

Today, we visited Santa at the local mall. Of course, we waited in line for an hour and a half. In that time, my belief that there really are all kinds of people in the world was confirmed. And I mean we saw them ALL today at the mall. If I had had the guts, I would have taken photos of some of them to share. One particular family sticks out in my mind the most. Well, it was a mom and three kids - two girls and one boy. They were dressed to coordinate (of course - which there is nothing wrong with matching) and the poor little girls had the largest hair bows I have ever seen in my life. THE LARGEST. And they didn't have just one - they each had one on either side of the head. I kinda stared for a minute trying to determine if it was some sort of headband. But, no. It was large bows. On both sides. The youngest was about Madalyn's age and the bows just consumed her head. David noticed them and said to me, "That looks weird." I just pretended not to hear him so as not to have to respond. Because, I will have to agree with him. It definitely looked weird.

The people in front of me were just too funny. The mom clearly believed that her three girls were the best things in the world and that she was the next best thing because she had brought them into the world. You know the type - the mom that enjoys telling everyone around her without solicitation how close in age her kids are as though she expects and award or something. Three girls five and under. I really don't have an award to give you, ma'am. But I will give you my condolences. Not sympathy, however, because we all know how they get here and how to prevent it. And I think my kids are the best and cutest things in the world, too, but I am smart enough to know that not everyone will agree with me and want to see all their tricks and how they can wave and say, "Hey." Though it was impressive, and I smiled and seemed interested as I always do in these type situations.

And there we were - the little Blairs. My little threesome - Crazy Mama, David, and Madalyn. They were not all cutesy and matchy-matchy. David had on a green shirt and Madalyn had on a red one. Oh, and no bow today. But they both had their lists and they wanted to give them to Santa. Of course Madalyn's was insane looking, but she knew exactly what it said. "A doggy that rolls over" is the must have item this year. So I think the order has been put in for something quite similar - one that barks and walks and does other stuff. And, well, David's list has been ever changing. Like, by the minute it changes. So I really don't know what to think about him and what he wants. But I don't think he will disappointed on Christmas morning. At least, I hope not. I mean, what do you do when at three days before Christmas he is naming different stuff that is impossible to get? We'll just risk disappointment, I guess.

I don't remember ever feeling disappointed at Christmas as a child. Oh, the excitement. No school. Lots of candy and cookies and goodies. Family and friends. And stuff. New stuff. Presents. Things you just don't get to have all year 'round.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

No comments: