Monday, December 15, 2008

Annual Christmas Illness

It has become an annual Christmas tradition since our exposure to the public school system - Strep throat. This year we added another element - Scarlet Fever. How nice.

I was so in denial on Saturday about the cause of David's illness. Perhaps it was all the snot that threw me off. Perhaps it was the fact he didn't have the little red dots in the back of his throat and in the roof of his mouth his doctor had pointed out to me each previous diagnosis. Perhaps I just believed that we would make it through this Christmas season (and my Christmas party) without the dreaded streptococcus infection. No such luck, indeed. David stayed home on Saturday (but I sent Madalyn on to Gammie's house) and he was asleep by 8:15. We never even knew he was here.

Last night, he started complaining about itching and I looked over his body to try to see what was going on. And there it was - little red bumps covering his whole little body. Today's throat swab revealed the culprit, and one shot in the left leg should knock it out in no time. The doctor says he can return to school on Wednesday.

So that's the deal. Another $35 at the pediatrician's office. But at least I didn't have to pay for the antibiotic. And we'll be back on the 30th to recheck those ears, you know - the ears from last week's visit. And joy of joys, we'll get their flu shots then. Well, as long as they are not sick then. And I think we all know there are no guarantees on that note.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Scarlet Fever, are you shitting me? I thought that ailment went the way of consumption just after the Civil War.

Poor baby, I hope he starts feeling better soon. In the meantime, I suggest red wine for the stress.

And, you know, I mean the wine is for you, not for David.

You knew that, right?

Erika said...

But if you want to sneak David a sip, we will look the other way. ha ha Peyton has been complaining about feeling bad the past couple of days, but I just keep sending him to school.

RunnerMom said...

We've been down that road before. Those shots take care of it fast, but are NO FUN---long, thick, and painful. I hope he did ok with it.

We were at the ped.'s last Thursday and again today. Good stuff. Who knows what ELSE we were exposed to on those office visits....