Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cornbread

My grandmother made the best cornbread. My mom's mom - the one I talked about in my last post. And, yes, she is still alive, but she no longer cooks well. So I have to say that she made the best cornbread. Oh, I remember eating at her house in the winter - vegetable soup and fresh cornbread with lots of butter on it. The butter just melts down in to the cornbread and soaks into each square millimeter.

Today, I have been baking my cornbread for the Thanksgiving dressing. Then tomorrow, I will prepare it and let it sit over night in the fridge and let all the flavors soak in. Such a professional, I know. Every time I cook the cornbread for the dressing, I just can't resist cutting a piece and slathering it down with butter. So good.

I have also been fighting with leaves all day today. It is a bit windy out, and the leaves from the two big oaks behind our fence are finally starting to fall. And they are falling right into the pool or onto the grass and then blowing into the pool. The leaves are no longer pretty or enjoyable. The are brown and dry and crunchy and aggravating. And there are so many of them in the pool that I would love to light a match to them and see if they would just all burn in the pool leaving nothing but ash behind. I think I am in a bit a dark mood lately. No need to worry though; I didn't say I want to burn down the house or anybody. I wouldn't air thoughts like that on the internet anyway.

I am trying so hard to get into the holiday spirit this year. But I am struggling. I have been struggling for a couple of months now. I am just trying to hang on to things with my teeth lately, and I feel I am falling short. I don't really know what sort of deal I am going through, but I feel certain that I am ready for it to end. So hopefully, stuffing myself with turkey and dressing and getting out the Christmas stuff will cheer me up a bit. I need a little Christmas cheer.

Hope everyone enjoys a wonderful Thanksgiving with their family. And enjoys a lot of tasty food as well!!

2 comments:

Chelle said...

I struggled with the whole Christmas spirit thing last year and it sucked.

I was also mildly depressed which is totally unlike me and it really threw me for a loop. Hang in there, hopefully the cloud will lift for you, soon.

Erika said...

I love you!