Friday, October 3, 2008

Normal Weekend

Warning: This entire post is based on my assumptions about what life would be like if my husband worked what I call normal hours and had weekends off.

I look forward to a very normal day tomorrow. My husband is taking the day off - yes, he works every Saturday, along with every stinking weekday until 7:00 at night, with usually two days off in a month (other than Sundays). So I am very much looking forward to a Saturday morning like most people get, involving not having to get out of the bed before 7:00 am to iron work pants for the man of the house and telling the kids to get their own freaking Pop Tart of the pantry. I mean, seriously. There are some things they can do for themselves while I lay in bed for a few extra minutes.

Later in the day, we will enjoy the beautiful Fall weather we are having while the kids play outside. It doesn't really matter what we do because we have ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE TO BE . Yes, you heard me right. No work. No football practice. No baseball practice. No tournament. No game. No nothing. I know that the last phrase was a complete grammatical nightmare. But that's just how crazy I am feeling right now knowing that I have no duties tomorrow. It is like a little vacation day for me in the midst of a life where every day feels the same no matter what day it might be because my husband is always at work and we have some sort of practice or game every day of the week. I am so excited, I literally might explode right in here in my pleather desk chair. But then who would clean up the mess? I need to simmer down.

So, tomorrow, we will pretend that we indeed are a normal family. We'll watch football and probably pull out the little blow up bouncy thing for the kids. They will ride bikes and Power Wheels. We will look as American as American can be. And probably, by late Sunday afternoon, I will be ready for the American family to leave me alone for a while. But I am looking forward to experiencing how the other half lives when daddy is actually home for more than a few hours.

Happy weekend to all!

1 comment:

RunnerMom said...

"I am so excited, I literally might explode right in here in my pleather desk chair. But then who would clean up the mess? I need to simmer down."

You brought a smile to my face with that one (as I also sit in my pleather desk chair). You are too funny!

I hope you have a great weekend.