Thursday, October 9, 2008

Nine Years and Counting

Today, Scott and I have been married nine years. Nine years. It really seems like a long time. Yet I feel too young to have been married nine years and have two kids. So much has changed over the last several years. So much. We have been through a lot together, and we have both grown up a lot. And through it all, my husband still remains the one person I know I can sit down and talk to at the end of the day. We may not always like each other, but we have our own kind of love that works for us and our family.

All that being said - we went to lunch today in celebration of our anniversary. Why not dinner? Well because we will be at a pee wee football game tonight. So if we were going to do anything at all for the big day, it would have to be the lunch hour. I don't get out much. I know I say it, but I really don't think people understand that I mean it when I say it. I do leave the house - I go to the grocery store, Walmart, the kids' schools, sporting events and practices. But I don't go to dinner or lunch at all anymore. Not to a real place with metal forks and plates that break. And if I do go to eat somewhere, it is usually in my general small town area - not in Birmingham. So today, we went to a pretty old local meat-and-three joint near the downtown area. Scott warned me to know what I wanted before I got up to the line. The workers behind the cafeteria style line are all about getting you in and out. And I was surrounded by all these busy bees in ties (I even saw three bow ties - I didn't realize people actually wore them) and suits and high heels. I mean, there were normal people there, too, but the bulk of the crowd was busy Birmingham business people. And I just felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.

And I have to mention that you have to drive through the middle of the ghetto to get there. Houses with wood over the windows. Trash everywhere. People standing around.

I turned to Scott as we were driving away and told him about how I feel when I am around other people - so out of place and in the way of these busy, important people. I am not in a hurry. I just have to pick my daughter up at 1:00. The floors and laundry can wait, I think. And I commented on the people just standing around outside housing projects, and I told him how thankful I was that I had a husband who wanted more for himself and his family than that sort of life. And then I told him that I still feel like I live such a sheltered life. Like I don't really know what's going on out there. I guess in so many ways I am fortunate not to know. It is just rare times like these that I realize what he does for me and my kids - why he gives up so much of his time at work and works so hard. I have been so blessed.

The lunch was so good. I had baked chicken with broccoli and rice and fields peas. And cornbread with butter. I guess there's no way to determine exactly how many Weight Watchers points were on that plate of food, but if I had to guess, I would say around 20. Way too many for one meal, but it's not like I do that every week. It was the best tasting food I had put in my mouth in weeks. And the most food I had put in my mouth at one sit down in weeks. It was the bomb. I am glad I enjoyed it so much because I may not get back out to lunch for another year.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow! You and scott are really getting old!! It want be long till he is changing your diapers :)

Keri said...

sorry "wont"

Erika said...

Congratulations!