Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trial Run

I have gained weight. And in case I haven't made it clear in the past, I love to eat. And I generally eat too much. And it is all beginning to catch up with me. When I started running back in February, things were great. I didn't loose weight. In fact, I gained five pounds. But my clothes were fitting so much better and everything was tightening up. Then I jammed my back in May and sat out for four weeks. Then I hurt my shin and just never really was able to get a good rhythm back. So that five I gained (that used to be muscle) is now mush. And I am at the highest weight I have been in my adult life (with the exception of when I was pregnant). It is definitely time to get serious.

Not that it is a big deal to carry a little extra around. And not that I am extremely overweight. But I know that five becomes ten, and ten becomes twenty, and so on and so forth. I am at the very top end of my spectrum for healthy weight. And so if I go any further, I would be considered overweight by a doctor. And that is just not cool with me, especially at my age.

So, I signed up this morning for a seven day free trial of Weight Watchers online program. I have always heard such positive things about Weight Watchers, and I like their philosophy of allowing you to eat what you want as long as you understand it has a value. The online features are cool. You can view your points for the day, and it sets it up almost like an account. You enter in what you have eaten, and it shows you how many points you have left for the day. You can search recipes and figure points for any food. I am hoping this will get me into gear. I have just been aimlessly shoveling food into my mouth, and I have got to act like I understand that each morsel of food has a caloric content. I have gotten so far away from caring how much I eat or when or where. Hopefully, this will help me keep my eating in better control.

Of course, today I am starving. But all in all, I think I have done pretty well. It is 4:30 and I still have 8.5 points left. Of course, I haven't even looked up how many points a beer is yet. Or my favorite drink - Captain Morgan and diet coke. Oh well. Everything has a value, and I will quickly learn the things I value most in my diet. Like today, I ate a pack of the kids' fruit snacks and then learned that they are two points. No thanks to those. They aren't that good. I ate a whole snack sized bag of popcorn and it was only one point. Now that's a good deal right there. Anyways - day one of my trial run with Weight Watchers. And I will be back in those size fours in no time. Well... maybe not the fours.

4 comments:

carrie said...

I did WW and lost 35 pounds quickly and easily. I will be counting points again in a matter of weeks!

RunnerMom said...

I'm really enjoying this blog!

I've done WW twice (before discovering running) and always had success.

I'm in a bad place food wise, I've put on a few pounds despite training for the half-marathon, so please share any good advice you get on WW or discover on this journey!

Like you said, I've got to be more conscious of what I put in my mouth. I just returned from a Chuck E Cheese b-day party and found myself eating cotton candy (it was free), an exceptionally good piece of birthday cake, and pizza. Wonder how many points that was???

Erika said...

I think it took me about 2 weeks to not be hungry. Good luck!

SuZ said...

I'm such a food-lover as well... Does WW work? I've been seeing their commercials and wondering if it'd help with some left-over baby weight. Let me know!!