Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Life's Little Frustrations

Just one more post today, I promise. Just one to vent about our lovely technological society we live in with all its comforts and luxuries to enjoy.

I have posted about this particular issue before, but let me refresh. We bit the bullet back in late June and purchased a top-of-the-line handy dandy camcorder. We had a camcorder, but it was as old as David. And frankly, it was a piece of crap that chewed up little hi-8 tapes like Hubba Bubba and killed a battery quicker than one inning of little league tee ball. We had toiled and fretted over the idea of a new camcorder for a couple of years... What do we buy? What do we want to be able to do? HD or standard? Digital or DVD? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. To be honest, missing the moments of my child's life seemed okay to me because I knew that one we got a new camcorder, it would become the center of frustration in my life.

Boy, was I ever right about this one.

This freaking camcorder is from the devil. It is an awesome sounding concept - new hybrid technology that enables you to record in HD quality and comes with software for you to convert into standard DVD format with your computer. But it ain't quite so simple, my friends. I have cursed. I have screamed. I have thrown things. Satan himself created this camcorder and wrote my name on it knowing that it would cause me to sin this way. Nothing works as it is supposed to. The digital images freeze up my entire computer. One day, I can make a DVD, and another I can't. There is no rhyme nor reason to the madness.

Last night, my husband came home with this other apparatus. Yet another piece of technology that is supposed to make your life easier. A dubber of sorts to bypass the computer altogether to make a DVD. Pray that this nightmare will all end. That this other machine will somehow take the misery out of my life completely.

Yet another piece of technology in our life that is screwing up is the air conditioner. It had been acting up - instead of blowing cold air, it would begin to blow fresh - but we could cut it off and let it rest a few minutes and all would return to normal. A couple of weeks ago, we thought the thing had completely gone kaput. I called out a technician to take a look at it, and of course by the time he arrived, the darn thing was working fine. Thanks for coming today, friendly technician!! Here's $89 for nothing really.

So today, it started acting up again. I called the company, and I did as I was told - leave it on and don't mess with anything. Within 45 minutes, the darn thing was working again. I mean, don't get me wrong; I am glad my air conditioner is working. I just wish we could find a fix for it so that it works all the time, not just intermittently.

Just a couple of the little frustrations of life. The little things that stem from the stuff that is supposed to make our lives easier. More comfortable. More enjoyable.

I will add this, however - my favorite technological luxury is spell check. I sure would look like an idiot if I didn't have it.

No comments: