Friday, August 15, 2008

Exhausted

We are all exhausted around the Blair household. Football is completely wearing us all out. Completely.

I have been waiting on David to hit the wall. This is our first full week of school, which means up and ready and out the door by 7:30. Which wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have practice from 6:00 - 8:00 four days a week for football. Don't get me wrong; I am not complaining about the number of nights. We practiced four or five nights a week for baseball, and then had games on top of that. But generally, we practiced from 5:30 - 7:00, which makes a big difference in getting home, cleaned up, and ready for bed. Football practice is over at 8:00 or a little after, and then we have to rush home and get a quick bath and basically jump in the bed around 9:00 or 9:15. Last year, David always needed one day a week of going to bed at 8:30 to just get that extra little thirty minutes in. It is amazing what just a little extra sleep can do for anyone really. But we don't have it right now. And this morning, he hit the wall of exhaustion.

Scott had offered to take David to school, a rarity around here as he leaves for work around 7:15 or earlier. But David said no for some reason. And a good five minutes after Scott left for work, David started looking for him saying that he had changed his mind and wanted to ride with him after all. When I told him it was too late, he started crying. I hate to see my son cry, especially in the morning before school. And when he cries over something as little as that, I know he is just over tired and needs some rest. Only problem is that we have to be in Pelham tomorrow morning for our weigh-in for football at 7:30. No sleeping in tomorrow. Freaking football. I don't see us playing this sport again.

I feel horrible. I feel like it is all my fault for putting too much on his plate. But he wanted to play - insisted that he play - and I really didn't know how late we would be practicing. I mean, why can't we practice from 5:30 - 7:30? Or from 6:00 - 7:30? Oh well. What's done is done. And we will just have to move through it the best way we can. At least he can sleep in on Sunday morning. It's possible he'll sleep to noon.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I really just don't understand having 7 yr old boys practicing that much.