Sunday, July 20, 2008

Really just eighty-nine

Okay. How's this for anti-climatic? I was wrong about my grandmother's age. She only turned eighty-nine. It is my grandfather who will turn ninety next month. When my mom straightened me out on the details, I was really glad I didn't buy the card that had the big 90 on the front of it. I am really losing it. Whatever. All the same - she's still really old and really wonderful. And I am the one losing my mind and screwing things up.

We had a wonderful visit yesterday. One of my cousins, whom I rarely see, was there with his wife and three kids. His daughter is almost five, and I have never seen her, so that gives some perspective as to how often we get to visit. He also has two boys, ages ten and almost seven, and it was so neat to see David and the boys playing in the same back yard that me and my cousin played in. They just bonded immediately.Of course, two seven year old boys pretty much always bond immediately. At one point, they were communicating simply by making bomb noises. I mean, what's not to like about that?!? They threw the football in the back yard, and David said they taught him a few things. When it was time for them to leave and head back to Texas (they had been in Pensacola visiting my uncle for the past week), David asked if they could come to our house. Or, we could go to Texas. How do you explain the distance to a seven year old, especially when the longest distance they have traveled is to the beach? Anyway... a good time was had by all. Especially my grandmother. That was really all she wanted for her eighty-ninth birthday.

No comments: