Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Because I haven't fallen down the stairs lately...

I was just commenting to Scott the other day that I haven't fallen down the stairs lately. It happens once every couple of months and results in a few bruises but no major injuries. Well this morning, while cutting the grass, I perfected a new stunt - falling down while cutting the grass and taking the lawn mower down with me. Talented, I know. Please, no autographs.

See, our front yard has a steep slope up to the street. It is flat close to the house, but the closer you get to the street, it takes a steep incline. This makes it rather interesting when cutting the grass. So I had just started, and I was making my pass all around the perimeter of the yard. And I reached the steepest part of the incline and the lawnmower hit an uneven area and the mower started to tip and I tried to correct and the grass was a little slippery and then all at once, there I was on my left butt cheek in the grass. (That was perhaps the longest run-on sentence I have ever composed in my life.) I couldn't help but laugh, after the expletive, of course. And then I look up to see that my neighbor was pulling out of her driveway and had waited to make sure that I got up. Not my young neighbors that know me well. But the retired neighbors that always walk outside as I am yelling at my kids, see me drink beer in the driveway, that had to come and move my husband's truck for me because I don't know how to drive a stick, and that witnessed me soak myself while trying to figure out how to set the sprinkler last summer. You know - the neighbors who think I am an absolutely crazy and enjoy a good laugh at my expense behind closed doors. I am just glad I could stand up and laugh at myself and to know that I am spreading the joy with others.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I'm glad you are ok. :)