Monday, May 26, 2008

Tag, You're It

I was tagged by my new running pal, Terry, the other day to write a six word sentence that encompasses my life. I have thought about it constantly since I read her entry, and this is what I came up with: No matter what, keep moving forward.

When I stop and think about my life in general, that's the one theme that just keeps popping up. Move forward. Keep going. Keep changing, shifting, pushing, pressing. No matter what happens, no matter what obstacles are in the way. I have really grown into this philosophy of life since the end of my first marriage at the ripe age of twenty-one. And I assure you, there is much to be learned while going through a divorce at that age. Number one - you are an idiot for marrying someone you know deep down inside is not deserving of your love. But the biggest lesson I learned was that even though my world was upside down, even though I thought I would never recover form the heart ache, even though I felt certain I was the center of every one's idle gossip, I just had to keep going. I just had to brush myself off day after day and move forward. Not worrying about what was behind me or around me, but keeping my eyes on my future, knowing that my mistakes would give me a world of knowledge and experience for the next day. And this is what I try to teach my children. Made a mistake? Learn from it, get over it, and keep going. Then try again. Are you hurt? Brush it off, clean it up, bandage it, and keep going. That's just my outlook on things. And the older I get, the better I get at it.

I keep trying to apply it to my spiritual life as well. Because I seem to screw up with doing the right thing all the time. But I just try to remember the whole purpose of grace, you know, is to cover the mistakes. Good thing there's enough grace to go around cause there's plenty of mistakes around here. But you just have to keep trying. You just have to keep going.

And I am applying it to my running as well. It really physically applies to running; one foot in front of the other, always looking ahead and never looking behind (except to check for cars of course when crossing the street). I have had to keep myself in check so much in the past few months. I can't get discouraged after one bad run or I might have another bad run the next time I try. I can't be worried about everything else around me. I have to be constantly moving forward, growing, learning, pushing myself outside those comfort lines. That's why I have enjoyed the whole experience of learning to how to run. It has given me an outlet and a way to push myself unlike anything I have ever done before. And it forces me to keep moving forward. It gives me something to look forward to.

A big thanks to Terry for making me think about all of this! So I am going to tag some runners I have been following as well as some of my old faithful friends! Here's the deal - think of a six word sentence that best describes your life or outlook on it. This one is a little challenging, but I really enjoyed thinking about myself and my life. You're it: Erika, Rebecca, Carrie, Kristin, Awful Runner, and NB.

No comments: