Friday, April 4, 2008

In Honor of My Best Friend

I have known my dearest friend for 24 or 23 years. Can that be right? We met in the second grade at Alabama Christian Academy where we were a part of a new idea - the combined class. So, in a way, we were trendsetting rebels form the very beginning. Because we were both so brilliant and always finished our work too quickly, we became fast friends. We were always competitive with one another, whether it be grades or laps at the jog-a-thon. I remember one year at the annual awards day, after counting our certificates, I realized that she had one more than me. I think she got the one for perfect attendance that year, and it pushed her ahead of me. Why my mind remembers that, I am not sure, but that just demonstrates the nature of our friendship from the beginning.



As we grew, our friendship did mature. And through it all - moves to different states, bad boyfriends, disappointments, a failed marriage (my first - not hers)), fresh starts, babies - we grew closer. No amount of miles can come between us. There is nothing we cannot say to one another. Sometimes, we need not say it at all; we know what the other is thinking. She is the closest thing I have to a sister. And today, I want to wish her a happy birthday and tell her that I love her dearly!!!!!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I never knew y'all were competitive with each other. How funny! I was in the "non-combined" class. AKA the "not so smart ones" I'm kidding.

Erika said...

I love you too. :)