Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Anniversary

Two posts in one day - a little self indulgent, I know. But everyone will love this one. I just got off the phone with my mom and she informed me that it is my grandparents' anniversary today. They have been married 72 years. Everyone take a breath.

72 years.

A few years ago, while visiting with my grandmother, she told me the story of how my grandfather wasn't the man she wanted to marry. She was a little sweet on his brother, but someone thought she should marry my grandfather. And so she did. At the ripe old age of sixteen. I know things have changed, but I cannot imagine getting married at the age of sixteen. And then staying married for 72 years. They must love each other. But is it the kind of love that young girls dream of these days? I hardly think so. She didn't marry for love - you just didn't really do that back in the days of the old, poor south. But she said that she grew to love him over time.

Wow. 72 years.

No comments: