Friday, March 28, 2008

Not Ready for This

Wednesday night, David had just gotten out of the tub. I had put Madalyn in to play for a minute, and I walked in David's room to chat with him. I have been working on painting his room this week (finally!) after talking about it for about a year now. And we were discussing how much he likes it and so forth. And then the ZeroMeth commercial comes on. David had asked me about a billboard once before that is near our Publix. He asked me, "Why did they put that ugly girl on that picture?" The billboard is just a close up of a young woman's face, and her lips are cracked and she basically looks like death warmed over. So I gave a little blow-off reply of, "Well it's about a drug that people do that is bad for their body." And his little innocent response was, "Why would anyone want to do that?"

Anyway, he sees the commercial Wednesday night, and it's the one where they show people snorting meth and being all nervous and basically looking terrible. And I know that David has no comprehension of anyone snorting anything, but it still bothers me that they put it in the commercial, though I fully understand it is to scare the crap out of kids and keep them from using meth. I will be honest; these commercials scare me. They are frightening. My whole being shutters to think that a substance can take hold of your body and soul and turn you into a slave who is willing to do anything to get more. I mean, if that doesn't scare you, then I don't know what would. So, David questions me about the commercial.

"Are those bad people?"
"Well, they are not necessarily bad people, they are just doing bad things."
"Like what?"
"Well, they did this bad drug that your body can get addicted to."
"What's addicted?"
"Uh, well, it means your body thinks you have to have it."
And as the commercial comes to a close, he begins to read the screen... "Zero... what does that say, mama?"
"Meth. ZeroMeth. Meth is the name of the drug."

I think life was easier when David couldn't read. So then I had to go into the fact that as he gets older, there will be a lot of things that will seem like they would be a lot of fun to do that are really bad for your body. And that he just needs to remember that as he grows up. Oh, boy. I am so not ready for this.

No comments: