Friday, March 14, 2008

The Final Chapter

At last, the drama is over. My dealings with Quicken Loans have officially ended. I think. My dearest Marilyn called today, which was a bit of a surprise. For a moment, I thought, "Did I already write that letter instead of procrastinating like I normally do?" I had been planning on writing a rebuttal, but to be honest, I just needed a break from it all. Anyway, she left me a message that she needed to update me on my case and let me know there had been a "new development". So I phoned her back, and she explained that every now and again, her department gets together with their CEO (one of the men I wrote a letter to about three weeks ago) and they go over complaints filed and their resolutions. And upon discussing my case, the CEO thought the courteous thing to do would be to refund me the entire $500. You know, I am always a sucker for a courteous man. Common courtesy can get you a long way with me.

I can't help but breathe a sigh of relief. Not only because the money will be refunded, but mainly because I was really not looking forward to more back and forth with them. And I just assumed that this could go on for quite some time. But just out of the blue, the very thing I wanted in the first place happens, both unsolicited and unexpected. And finally, I can close that book. Thank God.

I had battled in my mind about the entire Quicken situation. I really wanted to pursue it. I really wanted to find an attorney who could nail the bastards and expose them for who they are. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that nothing would change. Nothing will ever change. People are dishonest. They lie, they cheat, they steal. And I am by no means perfect. Who am I to go on the rampage for morality and goodness? I don't know why, but I just wrestled with the idea of immersing myself in a litigation process that would make no difference in the world. And today, I can put all those thoughts aside and just forget about the whole thing. And I can rest easy in the old adage: "What goes around comes around."

No comments: