Thursday, February 21, 2008

Learning to Run

Well, I think we are all well now. Somehow Scott and Madalyn managed to make it through the past week and a half without getting sick. I don't know how that happens with me hacking my lungs out for the past week, but I am so grateful that we didn't all get stricken. And now that I am 100%, I am learning to run.

A couple of weeks ago, our family went to cheer on a good friend at the Mercedes Marathon in Brirmingham. This was her seventh marathon, and at 26.2 miles each, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was a truly inspirational experience, and I saw so many different types of people during the run. I was literally moved to tears. And the whole time, I stood there thinking, "If they can do this, so can I." Some people were true athletes, but most just looked like ordinary folks. Some even looked downright unfit. So it sparked a new fire within, and I have set a goal to run the half marathon next February. So I am officially learning how to run, which might not sound that difficult to some, but for me, it is a challenge. I have never been an athlete. Never really played a sport. I played softball when I was five and six, but my most vivid memories of it are how badly I played. And my father has made fun of me for the way I run my whole life. My parents just never really cultivated an athletic side for me. I mean, they already had two boys, so why would they encourage me to play sports?

So, this goal is highly personal. It is really just as much an inner battle and psychological training as it is physical. And I am excited about it. For the first time in a very long time, I am excited about something. And I actually look forward to pushing myself to the limit.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I am very proud of you! Pass a little of that this way.

Kristin said...

I always admire marathon running people. I hate to run, and the thought of it takes me back to our good old PE days of ninth grade. To run under force of authority is one thing, to CHOOSE to run is completely different. I encourage you and admire your determination. And like Erika said, send some of it this way as I struggle to get my butt out of bed and go to Curves 3x a week. Scrawny little Kristin isn't very scrawny after little Ella...

Erika said...

Did you "run" out of things to say after that. ha ha ha I slay me.