Thursday, January 10, 2008

Sent to the Office

I feel as though I am failing as a parent. And I don't really understand how because I am not doing anything any different this time around. I mean, I cannot figure out what in the heck makes my daughter tick. I would love to dive into her skull and just get a feel for her. I know her. I understand her personality. But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get her to do what I need or want her to do. And obviously, I am not the only one who can't figure it out.

On Tuesday evening, I received a phone call from my neighbor. Her little boy and Madalyn are in the same preschool class. She just wanted to know if Madalyn had said anything about getting in trouble that day. Apparently, her son had told her that he and Madalyn had gotten in to a bit of trouble and had to visit Ms. Theresa's office (that's our preschool director - you know, the equivalent to the principal). I was mortified. Absolutely mortified. Later that night, I questioned Madalyn about the day, as I already had, asking if she had been a sweet girl that day and if anyone had been in trouble that day. Of course she said that she had been sweet and no one had been in trouble. But a few minutes went by, and I suppose the truth was jumping to come out. She then proceeded to demonstrate just what they had done that got them sent to the office. I wish I had video footage, but I'll explain the best I can trying to use Madalyn's lingo: "I just put my finger in my ears and I say BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!"

It was a moment where I had to stop myself from laughing because she looked so funny doing it. But the grown up deep within me had to refrain because I knew that it should not be funny. I know it is just silly and that she is barely even three yet, but David attended the same preschool two years and never had to be sent to the office for anything. And I used to think that he was the problem child. My, how things have shifted. I spoke with Madalyn's teacher today, and she assured me that it was not an issue to be concerned about. That for the most part, she has no problem controlling Madalyn during class. Unfortunately, the two neighbor friends get a little wound up together and once they start, it is hard to get either one of them to listen. But still, I can't help but be a little concerned. I already feel like I am losing ground with her at home. I don't need her making a bad name for herself at preschool.

I just cannot imagine what it will be like when these kids are teenagers.

1 comment:

Erika said...

You know, I wasn't going to write today, but I'll share my story. We can drink together when they are teens.