Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh, What Fun!



We had a fabulous time in the snow on Saturday!!! Scott and I stayed up late on Friday evening waiting on the snow, in a sense, like children. We have an outdoor heater on our back porch underneath the deck and it kept us warm as we watched it rain and sleet and flurry a little. We just knew we would wake up to a beautiful snow covered yard, but no such luck. David woke up around 6:45 and was so disappointed that there was no snow. Luckily, by 8:30, it had started and I quickly bundled the kids up to go and play, not certain if it would actually stick. But, it snowed for several hours and we had such a big time playing in the snow. It was the most beautiful snow I had ever seen. It was fluffy and dry (not slushy) and we were able to make snow balls and roll it and it actually stuck together.

I guess because I have only seen snow a handful of times, it still remains to me such a miracle of our world. So beautiful. So fresh. So special. And in our section of the world, truly a miracle, as all the meteorological forces must line up perfectly for it to happen. Everything looks different when covered with snow. It looks strangely beautiful, perfect. I just kept thinking about a line from an old hymn from my childhood: "They will be as white as snow." My memory fails me as to the title of the hymn. We don't really sing those songs anymore at church. But I understand it clearly now.

The whole time it snowed, I just ran around like an idiot taking pictures. Of everything. Of the bushes, of the leaves, of the house, of the street, and on and on and on. At some point, I realized that I had become my dad. He always got so excited about weather, especially the few times during my childhood that it snowed. But he always got excited about a lot of things, and then would chase us around with the camera or video camera trying to document every second so as not to lose it. And that was what I did on Saturday. And midway through our snow event, I turned to my neighbor and explained that I felt like my dad and why. We went inside to dry and thaw out a little, and I went out on the deck to get a picture of the back yard. When I went inside, the phone rang, and it was my neighbor who just simply said, "Yeah, you are definitely your dad." For the one person that knows me better than I know myself, that one was hard to swallow. Don't get me wrong; I love my father. But he and I butt heads more than we hug.

Anyway. Here are some pictures of the snow. I only took like forty-one. But who's counting?

1 comment:

Erika said...

What fun. I was at the beach on Saturday. ha ha